Deleting a partition and making a new one

kerbyjonsonjr

Beta member
I have a HP Pavilion dv6 and I would like to install Ubuntu on it. The problem is that my computer already has 4 partitions. There is the system one, the C drive, a recovery one, and HP Tools. The only one I really can consider deleting is the HP Tools one but it has folders in it with BIOS stuff. I was just wondering if anyone happens to know if it is safe to delete that partition or I should not delete it?

Are you going to wipe the whole drive and install ubuntu? Or just wipe your C: partition and install? Or are you going for a dual boot?

If you have Vista or W7 there is a shrink tool that you can use to take space from one partition and add it to another. I've used it and it works well. Whatever you do, don't delete the recovery partition, it works with your recovery discs to restore your system back to factory if you should ever want to do that.

I would like to go for a dual boot. I have Windows 7. So, if I shrink my C drive and add that to the HP Tools do you think I will be able to install Ubuntu onto the HP Tools partition without deleting the HP Tools stuff?

I would like to go for a dual boot. I have Windows 7. So, if I shrink my C drive and add that to the HP Tools do you think I will be able to install Ubuntu onto the HP Tools partition without deleting the HP Tools stuff?
I would say you should be able to install ubuntu on that drive without deleting the hp tools. Make sure you back up any important files on your computer before you do the shrink though, just in case something goes wrong.

MBR Partitioning table: Maximum of 4 partitions (3 primary + 1 Logical drive). If you make an extended partition out of shrunken space, and move the contents of the HP partition into a Logical Drive on the Extended Partition, it should be fine.

Of course the solution to this is GPT, 18EB Partitions and 192 of them ftw...

anyway, Wubi is the Windows Installer for Ubuntu (Windows-based Ubuntu Installer). You only use Wubi if you install or uninstall Ubuntu from inside Windows. If you boot from the CD and do it, then it would be irrelevant.

You can install Ubuntu through Wubi onto the same Partition as Windows, and it will save it as an application but add it to the Boot.ini/BCD file. This isn't recommended but it would work fine if you have run out of partitions to put stuff on.

also, i recommend you use FAT32 instead of EXT4 if you're going to do any formatting for it, cross-compatible file system see.

try to use boot hiren cd may b it will help full for u.....i recommend u this tool because it have many options to format and test your hard disk drive.....check and also tell me about the result....

Back
Top Bottom