Help! High ping!

Jet1

Beta member
I recently got a new desktop gaming computer, and have found that I have very high ping in games, 300-500 usually, but on my old computer, which was running XP and using the same connection, I got very low ping. I have tried lots of things, such as disabling my firewall, disabling my antivirus, scanned for spyware etc.

Are you running the same os?? Shouldnt make a difference.

Are you using 64bit windows now??

Is the networking device running ok?? Can you replace it? Ive seen high ping replys in faulty network cards, especially in wireless networking.

Bittorrent and similar P2P tools can cause these problems. (Some video games come with "Bit torrent DNA" to auto-update their software.)
You can also try disabling QoS and WMM on your network adapter if updating the drivers doesn't help.
Also some routers support prioritization and your new pc could be taking the backseat.
If connected via wireless change your router from automatic to channel 1 or 11. By default it will sometimes sit on channel 6 even when on automatic. If you live in a dense area you could be receiving interference from other routers sitting on channel 6.

Back
Top Bottom