Locking down vista

andy1027

In Runtime
Hi :)

How can I lock down the likes of the control panel and other various features down/restrict in Windows Vista. This is for my grandmother as she seems to keep changing things on her laptop without realising, which has the potential of causing her problems somtimes lol.

Please advise.

Ah I see...

Ok well Ill see about doing that :)

Thanks

Is there an application that I could download that would automatically log her in on STARTUP instead of there being a log in screen appearing? Because there will be two accounts obv. And she will want hers to just open instead of the welcome screen appearing and then if I need to get onto the administrator then I can log out

i don't think so, but the admin account can have a password and the user account does not.
Thou it might work out if you put it to hibernate instead of shut down. and when it comes out of hibernation it may stay in the user account.

Ah I see...

Ok well Ill see about doing that :)

Thanks

Is there an application that I could download that would automatically log her in on STARTUP instead of there being a log in screen appearing? Because there will be two accounts obv. And she will want hers to just open instead of the welcome screen appearing and then if I need to get onto the administrator then I can log out

There is a built in function in Vista that will automatically log in a user.
If her account right now is an Admin, just make a new account as an admin then log in to that account. Then in control panel, make her account a limited account.
To automatically log her account on:
Click start
In the search box type control userpasswords2
If no results are found (none were on my Windows 7 machine), hold the Windows key and press R to bring up the run prompt, then type control userpasswords2.
Uncheck the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" check box and click OK.
If her account does not show up in the Username field, type the username there or click Cancel, select her account, clear the checkbox again, and click OK. Then type her password (I believe you need a password for this, so you can set one if there isn't one) and click OK.
The next time you restart the computer her account should automatically log on and not allow administrative access.

Back
Top Bottom