NTLDR is missing

DJM1972

Baseband Member
Description:
Old Gateway with Pentium 2 processor.
3 hard drives with hard drive #1 having XP installed and
hd#2 no OS used for backup.
and hd #3 982nd edition installed

Recently I decided to install XP on HD #2. But for some reason my pc keeps freezing during installation of XP. And now it won't let me access my OS on HD #1. And that's where I back up my files.
I tried going into the BIOS and changing the boot sequence for the hard drives but its not working either.
It just keeps saying: NTLDR is missing restart.

Your NTLDR was corrupted during the second install.

You can try this: Boot up your XP installation CD and go into Repair mode. Copy the files ntldr and ntdetect.com from the /i386 directory of your CD to the root of your primary drive, then reboot your computer (without the install disc in the drive).

When installing XP be sure that you have no extraneous USB devices (that includes wireless mouse dongles) plugged in during installation. I can't tell you how many times that has hung me up during an install.

1. Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
  2. When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
  3. Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
  4. Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.
  5. You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
  6. Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter, which in this case is "e." This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
    copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\
  7. Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

eh.gif
Apparently I wasn't clear enough. My apologies.

Back
Top Bottom