HDD cloning

mikee

Fully Optimized
My primary hard drive ( the small one in my sig) Is running out of space and is very old now and is IDE. What I am wondering is is there a way to clone all the contents of this drive to a new one exactly the way they are so that I can boot my existing windows installation off the new drive and do this for free. I really don't want to reinstall windows and all my programs That would be a pain.

This may sound stupid but I figure you cant just install the new drive and do a simple copy and past of all the current drive to the new drive and have that work can you?

This may sound stupid but I figure you cant just install the new drive and do a simple copy and past of all the current drive to the new drive and have that work can you?

I wish, but no. Just copying over doesn't create the partitions properly and link them up. Check out clonezilla Clonezilla - About. I've never used it, but I've heard others recommended it.

Many drive manufacturers have software on their website that will copy the entire contents of the old drive to the new drive.

is this pertaining to the old drive or new drive manufacturers website? what I mean is my old hdd currently is western digital and the new one will be when I get it a different brand maybe are you saying go to the old drives website to get software to move contents of it to a new drive or go to the new drives website to get software to copy to the new drive.

Also just realized something I left all the extra cables for my modular psu at home including my extra sata one

Back
Top Bottom