Wifi working fine but no Wifi Card fitted

Farstanley

Solid State Member
Hi guys
Had a look inside my HP Pavillion p6685l recently and found there wasn't any wifi card which was odd because it's been working fine for months.
Device Manager says theres a 802.11n Wireless Lan Card in there but I traced the wires from the ariel to a chip on the board. Property sheet says it's a Ralink Card and so does the vendor id ( 1814 ) but the device id ( 3092 ) belongs to an Intel I20 1.5 Raid Controller which is where I got lost.
I didn't know Raid Controllers did wifi. Can anyone shed any light on this ?
Regards

It's wrong. The only PCI card fitted is the Radeon HD 5570.
There are some part numbers on the chip I mentioned which are too small to read and I am trying to organise photos which maybe I can expand enough to read them

There's a chip slotting onto the board just in front of the PCI Card slots with wires going behind the Radeon card to the ariel.
It's got the device id 3092 on it, it's for sale online as a PCI express wifi half card, and both my device manager and the online database are telling me it's a Raid Controller and I'm just as puzzled as ever.
I got some photos but I don't have an url to point to and there isn't an attachment option here would somebody please let me know how I can put these photos up for consideration ?

PS celegorm's info helped me find out the board is supposed to be a MSI MS7613 ( Belarc says it's a 2A9C ) so I am looking for a product guide. It might explain some things

It's a chip but it's called a half mini card even though it doesn't use a card slot. This is confusing enough but PCI Vendor and Device Lists calling it Raid Controller is what threw me. I emailed them and they replied that the accuracy of the information on their site is nothing to do with them:

Hi Stanley,

We only manage the web site. Any information on here is voluntarily provided by the public. Neither the owner of this site nor any of the persons or entities who post information on this site warrants the accuracy of the information or your right or ability to make use of the information for any particular purpose. The information posted on this site has not been checked for accuracy and you use it as is, at your own risk.

Webmaster
PCI Database

Would they get away with this in the real world?
Case Closed
Thanks People

Back
Top Bottom