Game Development (An Important Matter)

STC Creator

Solid State Member
I am planning to create a MMORPG with the following programs. But before you read the sections below, can you please comment after you read the whole post.

Unreal Engine 3 (also known as Unreal Development Kit)

1.) Research
I have quite been studying this game engine for a month. I started building a floor (pretty much undone) and created some walls. This may be off topic, but I understand how use Adobe Flash Professional CS5. It lead to a website called Unreal Development Kit Central. (I think off topic is done) The website is where you learn the latest tutorials, I find it pretty useful if you thinking of becoming a game developer.

2.) System Requirements

Minimum:
Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista
2.0+ GHz processor
2 GB system RAM
SM3-compatible video card
3 GB Free hard drive space

Recommended for Content Development:
Windows 7 64-bit
2.0+ GHz multi-core processor
8 GB System RAM
NVIDIA 8000 series or higher graphics card
Plenty of HDD space

Minimum for DX11 Development:
Windows Vista
2.0+ GHz processor
2 GB system RAM
DX11 Graphics Card:
Nvidia: 400 series or above
ATI: 5000 series or above
3 GB Free hard drive space

In this post you can see that this game engine takes so much memory, that you can't even use this in Windows XP. You need at least a Windows Vista or later to use this program (I have a Windows Vista, plus I tested the Unreal Engine thing on the Windows XP as of I said when it dosen't work. I might be wrong cause I have a 2 GB hard drive).

3.) Gameplay
(I'm pretty sure you are familiar with this, if so, then just skip) If you played the Gear of Wars series or Mass Effect 1 and 2, then you just played a Unreal engine game. Here is a to show their creativity:

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
Unity, Unity 3D

1.) Research
There is not pretty much nothing to say, it my second time I been using this, but maybe this page should help you understand more.

2.) System Requirements

System Requirements for Unity Authoring
Windows: XP SP2 or later; Mac OS X: Intel CPU & "Leopard" 10.5 or later. Note that Unity was not tested on server versions of Windows and OS X.

Graphics card with 64 MB of VRAM and pixel shaders or 4 texture units. Any card made in this millennium should work.

Using Occlusion Culling requires GPU with Occlusion Query support (some Intel GPUs do not support that).

The rest only depends on the complexity of your projects!.

System Requirements for Unity iOS Authoring
An Intel-based Mac
Mac OS X "Snow Leopard" 10.6 or later
The rest only depends on the complexity of your projects!

System Requirements for Unity Android Authoring
In addition to the general system requirements for Unity Authoring
Windows XP SP2 or later; Mac OS 10.5.8 or later

Android SDK and Java Development Kit (JDK)

System Requirements for Unity-Authored Content
Windows 2000 or later; Mac OS X 10.4 or later.

Pretty much any 3D graphics card, depending on complexity.

Online games run on all browsers, including IE, Firefox, Safari, and Chrome, among others.

Android authored content requires devices equipped with:
Android OS 2.0 or later
Device powered by an ARMv7 (Cortex family) CPU
GPU support for OpenGLES 2.0 is recommended

Remember I said Unreal engine takes up most of your space, well you can play with your Windows XP computer

3.) Gameplay
Here is gameplay, kind of not-so-maybe bad video:
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
My Opinion: I think that Unity is the best. It's simple (quite hard at first), it's complex, it puts a lot of details into a game object, and it's sci-fi type glow light, like flashy.

Ok can you tell us ur previous experience in developing games. Have you worked in any language (C++, C#...) . are you a programmer, designer, animator etc... when u reply i think ill be able to help

Ok can you tell us ur previous experience in developing games. Have you worked in any language (C++, C#...) . are you a programmer, designer, animator etc... when u reply i think ill be able to help

Hello ahaykai, thanks to you, I noticed your website with the Unity. Pretty cool website and the games and stuff. So yes I have some previous experience in developing games. In the programming languages I know HTML, part of HTML5, part of XHTML, CSS, CSS3, part of TCP/IP (It's like you communicate on the internet), all of Javascript but animation because it's hard (still studying it, because I think it might be useful to add some 3D characters), and most of the languages in W3schools. I mostly continue with these programming language to create a site, but I find no use no other than C++ (I also study this). I don't get the C++ Visual Studio thing, the comments are easy and all, it's just that the debuggers don't work, they show errors.

As you already know I design games, but I also design websites. With the free flash web builder Wix! You can see my website below (second link) or here. Between late 2008 - early 2010, I have found 2D game builders, but mostly gamers find those out-dated. So I want something like top-rated games like World of Warcraft, but I just want it more like Sci-fi.

I am planning to make animation, but once I finish all of my MMORPG's (so yeah the game has to be online with Unity or UDK), I will start making a show with MonkeyJam, Maya, or anything else. There's a problem with animation though, how do I animate my characters? Do I need to pay famous/good artists to get the characters I want? Do you know a program that shapes geometry with body customization to create a character? These are the things I need to know or I can't never make a cartoon.

I hope I answer everything (sensible?) and all, hopefully you can help my ideas come into a reality.

Hello STC Creator,
First of all, let me clear up some things. You can not and I mean can NOT think that you will be able to create a triple AAA game such as world of warcraft in a matter of months. It needs time and you need to have passion!!I really recommend to start creating small games so that you know how unity works and stuff. Plan every aspect of your game before starting. Get a paper and write every idea down.
In unity your programming languages that you can use are either C# or JavaScript. If you are starting new i recommend to start reading about JavaScript. Concerning the characters you could either do them on your own or buy them off (you can find a lot on the internet) . There are also programs that do the animations for you and you can import them to unity.

Start small and then think big! Work on urself and if you need a slight introduction, drop me a pm and we may able to have a chat !

Back
Top Bottom