Something is killing my internet connection.

distopia1986

Beta member
Something in the background is slowing down my internet connection. Insight came out here and performed a few tests on the line/equipment, and determined everything was fine. Sometimes I'm able to achieve my advertised speed of 10 Megabits. While at other times, I'm struggling to just open a web page (For prolonged periods of time). I don't know what else to do. I've ran Malware Bytes, AVG, CCleaner, Super Anti Spyware, and each one yielded nothing. I'm currently running Windows 7 64Bit on a Dell Inspiron 1440. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Do you live in a densely populated area? what ISP are you on and how many other devices are you using?

We had to up our broadband bandwidth because of the number of devices we use, after a certain number are connected speed drops to a half meg tops and sh!t gets slow.

also, if alot of people around you have the same ISP, or perhaps are connecting to your network without your knowledge, and downloading or torrenting, your speed could be bottlenecked. Does the drop in speed happen at a regular time, or is it more sporadic?

Welcome to CF!

The process that's killing your internet is actually called dontbuydell.exe :D

Just kidding!

How long has this been going on?

I would download Comodo Firewall and then right click on it in your system tray and set it to "Training Mode". This will block absolutely EVERYTHING from accessing your connection unless you specifically allow it to. At that point, once processes start to ask permission to use the connection, you can gauge what's eating bandwidth. You can literally allow one at a time (if you ignore the request, it wont allow it but it won't block it permanently, you will receive another prompt for access when the program attempts to send/receive again) and if so inclined, do a speed test between access requests/approvals. That's where I'd start and have done in the past. Turns out for me it was an svchost from some random program that I downloaded that was causing all the ruckus. I ended up having to reinstall Windows as, just as in your situation, no AV would detect what was really going on.

Edit: To piggyback on what Darkseeker said, do you have a Wireless Router?

The funny thing about my connection is, is that during peak time, it will either work very well or it will nearly come crawling to a halt. I mean, some web pages I end up having to refresh over ten times in order to force them to load. I'll be in the middle of streaming a Youtube video (Which will load within seconds), then I will switch over to another one, and it just won't load at all. It's never done this before, it started about a week ago. My laptop is the only node accessing the internet, and I have no P2P applications installed.

Install anything new a week ago? I'm thinking not or you wouldn't be posting in a computer forum right?

Try what I stated above so you can isolate the usage down to a single process.

Welcome to CF!

The process that's killing your internet is actually called dontbuydell.exe :D

Just kidding!

I Like this quote! I learned this a while ago i figure with my dell i have to run CCleaner at LEAST once a day to keep it going strong and fast.

You know it depends on what time of day you are using the internet also. If you live in a heavily populated neighborhood and all your neighbors are using the internet at the same time, that will hurt your bandwidth also. Speed.io is a nice speedtest website you can give a shot. Did your ISP do a "line quality" test to ensure no noise/static on the lines?

You may have a nasty rootkit. I found one on my lappy that was klling my connection. Slow at times with drop outs. I ran ComboFix from normal mode then again from safe mode. Got the little bugger on the second pass.
Download from here:
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe
Do not download from anywhere other then Bleepingcomputer
Run the fix. For heavy infections, it can take awhile.

My internet connection has also been dropping from top speeds to an agonizing crawl. In the end, I found out that the new 9.0 version of AVG and it's protection shield on firefox has been the main culprit, so I uninstalled it and voila haven't had a problem since. For anyone out there using AVG 9.0 whose internet connection is perpetually on it's deathbed, this so called anti virus program may be the traitor in your midst.

Back
Top Bottom