USB Wireless Adapter Question

faint545

Solid State Member
A while back, I was using a relatively old USB wireless adapter (on Linux) and that specific adapter was kind of spotty -- meaning, my connection would go out (pages would not load) when using it for an arbitrary amount of time. The only way to recover from this was to unplug the adapter and plug it back in or simply disconnect/reconnect. This was the Linksys WUSB300N Wireless-N USB Network Adapter.

Now my roommate has a similar issue with a different USB adapter (Rosewill RNX-G1). His USB adapter is showing the same symptoms as mine did. He is using Windows 7.

My question is, is this common for USB adapters? If so, what about them makes connections get dropped?

*Side note: When the connection goes out, Windows still sees the devices as connected to the Internet. Same with Linux.

first I'd be sure its connected to the network you want. B, how good is the signal strength when it goes out? and third, some routers have a signal boost built in,(mine does) you can try to turn this on.
I'm currently using one of these and don't have any problems.

first I'd be sure its connected to the network you want

Yes. Both networks are networks that belong to me.

Signal strength on both networks are very strong (close to 100%).

What's "relatively old"?

All devices have a Mean Time To Fail. For wireless usb devices, from my research, that's about 10 years of use every single day. Now that's pretty long so I would expect a lesser brand to fail a little sooner, but a new wireless USB device should not do that. How old is the roommates? From your post they can't be that old but I wouldn't rule out a faulty product. Are they past warranty replacement?

Yeah they are past warranty. I'm pretty sure they are just dying.. Thx for the inputs.

Back
Top Bottom