Can't connect to the internet

CiaoCiao

Solid State Member
I'm troubleshooting an issue for my nephews laptop. The OS is Windows 7. Recently he was unable to get to the internet. The wireless connection isn't the problem but when he launches IE, the error is IE cannot display the webpage. When I click on diagnose connection problem, the issue is "The remote device or resource won't accept the connection. The device or resource (MSN.com) is not set up to accept connections on port The World Wide Web service (HTTP).
His home page is msn.com but I can't get to any site. Initially, when I launched IE, it went to a site flyingincognito.com. However that didn't display a web page, only the same error message as above. I think I was able to remove that (I think it was a virus) but I still can't get to the internet.
Does anyone know what this error means and how I can fix it?
Thank you in advance.

In Internet Explorer click Tools > Internet Options then click on the connection tab. Click on LAN Settings and then make sure that "Automatically detect settings" is checked. Then make sure that the Proxy Server option is not checked.
Now open a Command Prompt window with Admin Privileges and type in the following commands:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew

Thank you Thank you Thank you.. question, those internet settings I changed. Are they to be set like that from now on? Not sure my nephew would have changed them since he knows very little about computers.

If it was a virus, it most likely changed them. Was it the Proxy server that was set? Also, some bad sites can change your DNS information and that may have also caused the issue.

I changed both items you mentioned in your first response. I had to check Automatically Detect Settings and unchecked the proxy server option, and then renewed the ip. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom