Tracing IP Address to my house?

Churla27

Baseband Member
Is it possible for someone to trace my IP address to my house? When I go online and google "What is my IP address" it traces my IP address to my ISP, not my house, but is it possible for someone with good computer skills to trace it to my house? Thanks

Not likely, they would probably get a region but nothing more. If your on DSL or Dial-UP your IP's change periodically also.

Edited

This is not exactly what Churla27 was referring to. This is using known hot spots to locate you, but its not using your IP so its not the same as tracing you by IP Address which is more involved especially to a house.

Apple quote:

"Find yourself. And what's around you.
You're always in the middle of somewhere. And iPod touch finds exactly where using known Wi-Fi hotspots. If you're trying to make a plan, or a Plan B, it also finds points of interest by keyword: Search for “coffee” and iPod touch shows cafes near you. So you'll get lost only if you really want to."

If you are lost, you are going to need internet access to use iPod maps. The only reason for using hot spots is to acquire internet access. With iPod maps your iPod can find your location, it has nothing to do with the position of the hot spots. (I can use my iPod touch to locate my position without any hot spots. I just use my wifi.)

If the OP doesn't want to be located he should be using a proxy server.

ahh, I see your confusion here...

geo pocation through an IP does work for known spots. (e.g ip addresses associated to a map or lattitude/longitude co-ordinate).

your home wifi was mapped by the google street cars. that's how your ipod knows where you are, your home wireless is listed in googles geo-location database, -though google have been told to stop collecting that info now.

Back
Top Bottom