Looking to fix problem with wireless router

mistycom

Baseband Member
Hello everyone, my first post here :D

It wasn't until i have changed my router to a wireless one that i encountered several instances of poor Internet connections. My router and laptop are only separated by a wall, could this be one of the cause? I have to constantly switch off the router for some time before turning it on again for my connections to be up again. The connection doesn't last long anyways. Most of the time, my laptop cant detect it. If detected, it says that the signal strength is excellent but it ended up with Windows unable to connect to the router. What's wrong? Also, it always appeared to be connected with limited access and this is no different from being disconnected.My router's brand is linksys.

I would really appreciate it if someone can provide insights to these problems. Thanks a tons!! Please tell me if i missed any info.

Hello mistycom,

Just one thing to mention. If you can, get another wireless device from a friend maybe (like a PDA, Smartphone[iPhone], another laptop, etc) to connect to your wireless router. You will then be able to tell if it is your router or a problem in windows. If you can't get another wireless device, try the following...

~obtain your router's user manual and search for the steps to reset it. I've worked with Linksys routers before. You typically have to hold a reset button down for the 10 count.

...if the problem exists...

~Provide me with your laptop's model number or if you want to try yourself. Research your laptop's model on the manufacture's website to find the driver for your wireless Network Interface Card (NIC). It's usually a "self-extracting" software package so you wouldn't need to do anything technical with the driver files.

...if the problem still exists...

~I would recommend upgrading the router's firmware which can get a little technical, so hold off on that unless you actually know how to do that, then go for it. This part should happen if you are able to obtain another wireless device and realize maybe it is your router that is not functioning properly.

Let me know where you're at after you've tried the above.

*Note*Some manufacture's also provide support forums for a particular product.

Hello mistycom,

Just one thing to mention. If you can, get another wireless device from a friend maybe (like a PDA, Smartphone[iPhone], another laptop, etc) to connect to your wireless router. You will then be able to tell if it is your router or a problem in windows. If you can't get another wireless device, try the following...

~obtain your router's user manual and search for the steps to reset it. I've worked with Linksys routers before. You typically have to hold a reset button down for the 10 count.

...if the problem exists...

~Provide me with your laptop's model number or if you want to try yourself. Research your laptop's model on the manufacture's website to find the driver for your wireless Network Interface Card (NIC). It's usually a "self-extracting" software package so you wouldn't need to do anything technical with the driver files.

...if the problem still exists...

~I would recommend upgrading the router's firmware which can get a little technical, so hold off on that unless you actually know how to do that, then go for it. This part should happen if you are able to obtain another wireless device and realize maybe it is your router that is not functioning properly.

Let me know where you're at after you've tried the above.

*Note*Some manufacture's also provide support forums for a particular product.

Thanks Supernerd for the reply, I am pretty sure the problem is with the router and not Windows since my desktop computer which is placed next to the router had the same problem. Yes, i hv reset it and it's working fine now. Also, the cordless phone is quite near to my router and i notice that the connection drops when there is an incoming call. I understand from google that wireless routers are sensitive towards external signals and can cause interference. Should I reposition my router or is there a way to adjust the frequency to avoid interference?

I would recommend repositioning it, but if that doesn't seem practical you can change the channel to how the router broadcasts a wireless signal. The Channels for the United States and Canada are 1, 6 and 11.

~ Log into your router's web-based configuration (192.168.1.1; username is blank and password is typically "admin" if you reset it)
~ You can find where to set the channels in the "Security" tab under "Wireless"
~ Also if you reset you router, I would recommend enabling the wireless security so you don't have people mooching off you're internet connection stealing your bandwidth.

I would recommend repositioning it, but if that doesn't seem practical you can change the channel to how the router broadcasts a wireless signal. The Channels for the United States and Canada are 1, 6 and 11.

~ Log into your router's web-based configuration (192.168.1.1; username is blank and password is typically "admin" if you reset it)
~ You can find where to set the channels in the "Security" tab under "Wireless"
~ Also if you reset you router, I would recommend enabling the wireless security so you don't have people mooching off you're internet connection stealing your bandwidth.

Would it mean by resetting it that the router will return to the state when i used it for the first time? I am not sure what the "original state" was, let alone reconfiguring
it. I apologize if i sounded misleading and misinformed. All i did when i used it for the first time was to allow my laptop detect the router and i hit connect before entering the security code. I haven't made any changes to its settings so i presume all its settings are still default. So how would resetting my router help here? Will the security code remain the same? Thank you for your time, my friend.

Back
Top Bottom