Routing internet to Xbox (Getting around Cisco)

You won't be able to plug the XBox into your computer and connect without setting up Interent Connection Sharing.
Is the computer your personal computer or a computer that the college has given to you?
Coming out of the wall jack, does the cable run right into your computer? You can not take this cable and plug it into your XBox?

Is it possible the college has setup some kind of MAC filtering to only allow certain computers/devices to connect to their network?

Coming out of the wall jack, does the cable run right into your computer? You can not take this cable and plug it into your XBox?

Is it possible the college has setup some kind of MAC filtering to only allow certain computers/devices to connect to their network?

Some of the state schools here need a username and password even they are hard-wired so I'm pretty sure that just plugging into the wall won't work for him. I just find it weird that school would charge you to have internet enabled on your xbox. Have you looked on your schools site to see if there is a "how to" on there? My best guess is that $50 is to come out and set it up, not for use.

You won't be able to plug the XBox into your computer and connect without setting up Interent Connection Sharing.
Is the computer your personal computer or a computer that the college has given to you?

1. My computer is my own personal computer, yes.
2. I have 2 ethernet cables. I cannot one from the wall jack to my computer to give me internet.
3. Plugging the cable from the wall into the Xbox doesn't work. I tested the connection. The network is fine, but there is no internet connection
4. I have heard of way to manipulate the MAC address to give "free" internet here. I just can't remember how to do it

Some of the state schools here need a username and password even they are hard-wired so I'm pretty sure that just plugging into the wall won't work for him. I just find it weird that school would charge you to have internet enabled on your xbox. Have you looked on your schools site to see if there is a "how to" on there? My best guess is that $50 is to come out and set it up, not for use.

I looked it up and this is all I could find:

If you would like to connect multiple computers or an Internet-ready game console, you will need to pay an additional connection fee per device, per semester. Cisco Clean Access only handles registration of a single computer in your name. You will need to call the Technology Support Center at x3456 to get the device(s) registered. Please be prepared to provide them with the Ethernet Hardware Address of the additional device (see next question for finding the ethernet hardware address).

4. I have heard of way to manipulate the MAC address to give "free" internet here. I just can't remember how to do it
What you are looking for is something called MAC address spoofing. I'm not going to tell you how to do it because it's on the gray line of stealing the connection (and I don't know how to do it on an xbox).

If you would like to connect multiple computers or an Internet-ready game console, you will need to pay an additional connection fee per device, per semester. Cisco Clean Access only handles registration of a single computer in your name. You will need to call the Technology Support Center at x3456 to get the device(s) registered. Please be prepared to provide them with the Ethernet Hardware Address of the additional device (see next question for finding the ethernet hardware address).

Between this and what chipeater linked to, I'm pretty sure you'll just have to pay up. Cisco products pretty good at what they do, and I'm sure that will be hard to fool.

This is what I was referring to when I mentioned MAC Address Filtering.

What you are looking for is something called MAC address spoofing. I'm not going to tell you how to do it because it's on the gray line of stealing the connection (and I don't know how to do it on an xbox).

Between this and what chipeater linked to, I'm pretty sure you'll just have to pay up. Cisco products pretty good at what they do, and I'm sure that will be hard to fool.

^This.

Sounds like you're gonna have to pay up.

Back
Top Bottom