how do i share files from one computer to another?

grenades4balls

Baseband Member
i have my gaming desktop, my old server and my laptop. the are all connected through the same rougter and each computer finds one another but i cant share files, its a real pain bc to get files to my server to backup i have been using a thumbdrive doing 1 or 2 files at a time :( how do i share files??? help? thanks.:confused:

what error you getting on sharing.......Can you able to ping to the desktop and is there any firewall setup

If you go into System Properties, you can change the workgroup on the first tab.

Make sure you have simple filesharing enabled on all computers.

You have to make files or drives shared in each computer.

What operating system is on each computer? This assumes XP on all. This also may not be the most secure way of doing things.

1. On all computers - Right click My Computer > Properties > Computer Name Tab. Change the workgroup name to all the same thing. While here, rename the computers something meaningful (like Desktop/Server/Laptop or whatever) so you'll recoginize it from other computers.

2. On all computers - You have to set up shared files and give proper permissions. Right click on the C: drive of each computer (assuming you want to share the whole C: drive - you can also follow the steps if you want to only share one folder) > Properties > Sharing Tab > Put the dot in "Share this folder" and give it a good name (like Desktop C drive or Server C drive) so that you can tell what computer it belongs to.

3. Click the Permissions button. Give 'Everyone' full control. (You might have to hit the 'Add...' button and then type in everyone and it will add them. Then give them Full Control.)

4. Go to the Security tab. Again make sure 'Everyone' has full control.

5. Go to another computer and go to Start > Run > type in //computer name (where computer name = the name of whatever computer you want to connect to (like Server)).

6. It should connect to it, and it should display whatever folder you shared (whether it was the C: drive or just one folder).

If you have Vista on any of the computers, you will need to go into the Network and Sharing Center and turn on all the Sharing Features. I've only had to deal with this a few times so I don't know 100% what is needed.

Back
Top Bottom