weird XP networking problem.

Cha0

Solid State Member
CF,

Im having this strange problem with my father-in-laws "network". He has 2 XP pro machines, a printer and a netgear wireless router. EVERYTHING is hardwired though.

What he wanted was computer A, which has a bunch of excel files on it, to be shared to Computer B(which has literally nothing on it but Office like 1986.) Simple.

So I make sure they are in the same workgroup, Run the network setup wizard, reboot 57 times like MS wants, etc. This is what im left with and im stumped:

Computer A can see computer B (the opposite of what we need.) I can see that compB is shared and I can go into Its C: drive, etc.

I can not get Computer B (the one with nothing on it) to see the shared C: drive of A (the one with all the excel files on it.)

Off the top of my head here are all the things I have tried:

loopback ping on both came through fine.
ping from A to B came back fine.
Ping from b to A got nothing
Re Ran the network wizard 97 times.
Made sure that all network settings are automatically assigned and that there are no conflicting addresses.
Made sure everything was shared on both computers
turned of ALL firewalls.
tested all patch cables
Released and renewed IPS

This is pretty basic stuff. I have no idea why it isnt working. Both these computers are pretty clean, well compb B is brand new with NO 3rd party software on it. The ONLY thing I felt like it could be was a firewall on comp A somewhere. Theres no reason B should talk to A but not vice versa. Makes me feel like something is being blocked on A. Any ideas?

EDIT, important info I forgot to add.

computer B can See A. I actually can see the C: drive of A. But when I click on it I get a can not connect message. No other information is given though. That was another thing that boggled my mind.

Make sure that both computers are updated-- is computer B is not on SP3, then that may be an issue.

Also, do you have simple sharing enabled on both machines? Have you gone into Firewall and hit the Advanced tab and unchecked those boxes (and rebooted)?

Make sure that both computers are updated-- is computer B is not on SP3, then that may be an issue.

This may be an issue because computer A is a computer that has been used a while, Im sure this one is up to date. Computer B was purchased a LONG time ago and NEVER used. I never thought that updates would fix a problem like this. I will give it a try though.

Also, do you have simple sharing enabled on both machines? Have you gone into Firewall and hit the Advanced tab and unchecked those boxes (and rebooted)?
Tried this, and as it sits all firewalls are completely off.

Such said computers are about 40 minutes away from me. It would be great if I could get a few suggestions like the :updates" one before I take the ride over there. Anyone else have any ideas? Thanks D.

Are you getting any error message, did you check the event log.......

Good Question which reminds me of something very important that I forgot to add.

Computer B can See the A. I actually can see the C: drive of A. But when I click on it I get a can not connect message. No other information is given though. That was another thing that boggled my mind.

So A can see B and access all Bs files. B can see A but it wont let me connect to the drive. Another reason It made me think it was a firewall issue at first.

Ill give it a try. Never did much from the command line but basic Ping and trace route. Ill look up the commands and give it a try.

For testing, you could go in and allow 'Everyone' to have full access. Also, there are 2 places to add everyone (or any user), under the Security Tab and under the Sharing Tab>Permissions button.

Back
Top Bottom