Trying out Windows 2000 server/Active directory on Virtualbox...some help?

j0elr0xx0rz

Solid State Member
Whassup...

I am practicing with Active Directory and domains and I have set up on Virtualbox. I am using Windows 2000 Server (found in the bottom of a parts box I had in the garage) and would like to have Windows XP, which is on Virtualbox also, connect and log on to the W2k domain. I created a dummy account "Joe Schmoe" in the domain on W2k, and would like to log on from the Win XP virtual machine, BUT...when I try to connect to the domain ("main.domain"), I can't. It says it can't find my domain. I can ping W2k from Win XP, but it will not connect to the domain.

How can I get this going? I know NOTHING about Windows Server networking and Active Directory, and I want to get some experience with it. Hey, I know there's Windows Server 2008 R2, but I found the disc the other day, and decided to practice with this stuff now. For now, my main objective is to learn active directory and domains, since I want to be in IT after college (in high school now). A little help please?

edit: Thought everyone should know that both win xp and w2k are on the same computer in Virtualbox. I don't want to undo my desktop or my lappie's setup to practice, and so I thought I would do this virtually in Virtualbox.

Well, first if they are on the same physical box, you need to make sure they are both running. You also need to make sure that your Server is setup to be the domain controller. This might help:

Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then choose Configure Your Server.
5.In the Active Directory Installation Wizard, complete the following required steps to make the server a domain controller:
a.Choose Domain controller for a new domain.
b.Choose Create a new domain tree.
c.Choose Create a new forest of domain trees.
d.In the Full DNS name for new domain box, type TESTDOMAIN.local.
e.In the Domain NetBIOS name box, type TESTDOMAIN.
f.Leave the default database, log location, and shared system volume. At the message asking you to confirm your DNS configuration, choose OK.
g.On the Configure DNS page, choose the Yes, install and configure DNS on this computer (recommended), and then choose Next.
h.On the Permissions page, leave the default user and group permissions, and then choose Next.
i.On the Directory Services Restore Mode Administrator Password page, specify the administrator password, and then choose Next.
j.To complete the Active Directory Installation Wizard, on the Summary page, choose Next, and then choose Finish.
k.To restart your computer, choose Restart Now.
6.Launch Active Directory Domains and Trusts from Administrative Tools, and then verify that your new domain is listed at the top of the tree hierarchy.

Taken from HERE.

Back
Top Bottom