TV Tuners and Remote Desktop

haon8

Baseband Member
Hey all, I'm a student at college and am home for the holidays. I have a question regarding using a TV tuner with remote desktop software. I'd like to install the tuner on my desktop at home, then use any kind of remote desktop software to access it from my laptop at school. I'd mainly be using the software to watch games of my favorite baseball team (don't get their station where I go to school), and to play video games. I built my desktop and it's extremely powerful, though I can't really play anything on my laptop.

I know that this can be done (at least watching TV through remote desktop) because I've seen it, however it was fairly stuttery and not very high quality. Depending on what card I bought and which software I was using, could I achieve what I'm trying to with good quality (and sound), and could I also game with it?

For best performance you would want to setup a true VPN and tunnel the traffic. You can try using teamviewer and seeing if you can access it that way I have connected to computers in california from where I live and i noticed a little bit of slowness but overall it wasnt that bad.

Hm, ok. Obviously I'd like to make sure it works well before I buy a TV tuner. I'll probably wait until I get my lappy back from the shop, then use a few different pieces of software and see which works best, then try playing some games through it before I buy a tuner.

On that note, which tuners would you recommend under $50 or so?

Hm...odd that there are mixed opinions. Some believe the quality would be good, some don't.

Anybody else have opinions? I'm going to stick by my plan of playing games through remote desktop, and then buying a tuner if that works, but I'd like some other opinions in the meantime.

I can't imagine remote desktop being fast enough to watch video or play games. That really isn't what remote desktop was designed for.

Do you have any experience using a remote desktop, either for video/games or regular use?

Back
Top Bottom