Set the Internet to connect to 'Local Area Connection' and not 'LAN 2'

k0nfident

Baseband Member
Hey there everybody, I hope you are doing great!

As you might probably already have a small idea about what we are going to talk about, I say we dive right into it! ;)

In other words, the thing is that for a long time now, and up until now it hasn't really bothered me, but I have noticed that my internet connection connects using the 'Local Area Connection 2' adapter and not the 'Local Area Connection' adapter like it used to when I first got the computer. Therefore, I would like to know how can I put back to the first adapter.

Seeing as you guys here are definitely pros, I doubt this is very complicated to fix!

Thank you very much for your help, and wish you guys a merry christmas and happy holidays! =)

You are able to delete the connections and then re-add the connection manually. If you need exact steps, I can post them when I get off work and fire up the virtual machine... I'm assuming you're on XP right?

You are able to delete the connections and then re-add the connection manually. If you need exact steps, I can post them when I get off work and fire up the virtual machine... I'm assuming you're on XP right?
Oh man hahahaha, you've got to be kidding me!

The problem was simply in the plug, because when you mentioned XP, this brought up a thought:

"Okay so, I'm not on XP, but this issue still persisted over when I installed Windows 7, which means that it's not the computer, but it's probably coming from the plug..."

And there it was. I checked the Ethernet cable and it was in the "Port 2" of Ethernet. Now I just switched it back to 1... and it says connected to local area connection, without the "2".

Haha, I guess thanks for bringing up the thought to me. =D

Oh and, before I forget, Merry Christmas and happy holidays! Thanks again!

I've seen XP installations where the NIC was installed a second time so you would have to manually delete both and setup the connection again, but having two certainly makes it a lot easier :D

I've seen XP installations where the NIC was installed a second time so you would have to manually delete both and setup the connection again, but having two certainly makes it a lot easier :D
Yeah, it would probably be two PPPoE connections, or?

This is pretty easy to fix.

Right Click the connection. Choose Rename. Change it to whatever you want.

The OS just names the connections for some asinine reason based on how many times you've installed the hardware. Used to annoy me as well. I do it all the time for my systems here - I have a Windows Server box that has multiple NICs so I like being able to name the connections so that I don't disable the wrong one when working remotely or something.

Back
Top Bottom