netflix on my 360, crappy wireless

disturbed13

Daemon Poster
okay so i have this diagram
network.jpg

this shows how i have everything
as you can see the info for my 360 has to go through:
a modem > WRTG54G > WET610N > BEFSR41 > 360
so thats a 100BaseT modem to a 100BaseT wireless router then a 1000BaseT then a 100BaseT and then my 360
so if i was to use a QoS to direct the 360/Live/Netflix through the wireless
wouldnt i have to do that to the BEFSR41 as well?
although it would be alot easier for me to just pull down that cable in the family room
and use a switch to give the 360 a 50% fresh interwebz feed
however
that would mean pulling up the baseboard on one wall, and partially on another in the family room
then make holes in 2 walls and run the cable through a storage room that is full
(and that i would have to clean out)
then i could finish running the line
so am i right on my idea?

I think your going to have to better describe the situation and the setup.

From what I read (though it seems the diagram is different) MODEM > ROUTER A > WIRELESS BRIDGE > ROUTER B > 360. Correct, because you lost me with all the letters?

Not sure what idea you asking if you are right about? That you should just run the cable from Router A to Router B? Yes, if the wireless is crappy that would solve it.

Using QoS? I don't know anything about QoS but I would think that if the wireless signal is crappy, the wirless signal will still be crappy even if you do use QoS?

Also not sure what you are referring to when you talk about the switch and a 50% fresh interwebz feed?

okay your right
that was a...... thoughtless question
so hows this, im constantly trying to steam media from my vista machine and my 360 along with netflix.
but since i have a crappy wireless connection thats a hit and miss game
so if i get a gigabit switch is there anything that i would have to do to get everything working?
basicly i have never had to set up a switch
is it seriously plug and play? or is there a little bit to it?
do i have to change its IP address so that it wont interfere with my router? or what
networkre-do.jpg

so with my re-done pic the first switch would be a 10/100 switch
since my modem is a 100BaseT there is no point in putting a gigabit switch when its not going to be fully used
which ill put a gigabit switch with my 360 and all of my pcs
that way i can get all of the vids and music at top speed
any suggestions or comments
and any experiance on setting up a switch

It depends on what kind of switch your are referring too. Any of THESE are truely "plug and play". They don't get assigned an IP address or anything. You just plug one cable into your router and the other cables into your PC/360.

Also, just to correct your image:
networkre-dooption1.jpg

Is there a reason you can't just do this?
networkre-dooption2.jpg

well i was trying to cut out the first router the wireless g router
to cut down on latancy in my network
which i can see my drawing mistake
the switch needs to be between the modem and the g router
so that i can run a new lead off of the switch straight from the modem to my group of pcs on the far right
networkre-domk2.jpg

like so
now that makes alot more sense
as i stated before im attempting to reduce latency in my network
and running it through 2 routers and a wireless n bridge makes for horrible voices on Xbox Live
no wonder you were confused
i feel so tarted' right now
im going to a community collage to get an associates degree in computer networking
i feel ashamed

Ideally you want it to look like this (not going to draw it, don't feel like it atm)

Internet > Modem > Router > Switch > PC & Printer
(From the first Switch) > 5 Port Gigabit Switch

then everything else as-is. There's no reason to have the modem going to both the switch and the router (as you said prior) but the switch shouldn't be the device before the router. you should put the switch AFTER the router. The switch is just a dumb device, it just forwards information on. It can't serve DHCP, etc like a router can.

If you have a chance, look into setting up a pfsense box sometime. The power of pfsense can dramatically cut down on the workload that a given router has to establish in a modern home network.

Well, I didn't understand much of what the OP said but if I were setting it up, it'd be similar to this:

networkz.jpg

As posted above, switches are stupid. They simply copy/forward information. Nothing is assigned a specific IP on the network, IIRC (correct me if I'm wrong). I only use switches for unimportant devices--test computers, etc. Remember that the router always comes before the switch, as the above user also said.

However, you CAN try replacing that second router (not the one connected to the modem) with the 5 port switch and just see which is faster.

dude_56013, your diagram is perfect, save for one thing - to keep things simple, the two routers you linked via the green line, omit the second router (on the right) and use a switch instead. There's no need to have two routers on this type of network unless you're trying to segment things, and for most home users, that is unnecessary. :)

dude_56013, your diagram is perfect, save for one thing - to keep things simple, the two routers you linked via the green line, omit the second router (on the right) and use a switch instead. There's no need to have two routers on this type of network unless you're trying to segment things, and for most home users, that is unnecessary. :)

And see, I like things to be assigned their own IPs. For me, it's just organization...I'm OCD like that. But yes, a switch would also work just fine.

Back
Top Bottom