Computer for my grandma

JayAaroBe

Solid State Member
My grandma is completely technologically illiterate. Computers and the internet confuse her and do not interest her.

However, I piqued her interest when I explained that she could video chat with her grandchildren as well as receive and share photos.

I am considering what device to get for her. Whatever it will be, I will set it up for her and give her basic instructions, but the device must be as simple and easy to use as possible. I have been considering either a Windows laptop, a Mac laptop, or an iPad.

Keeping in mind that ease-of-use is the important factor, can you guys give me any suggestions?

I was leaning toward the iPad but then I found out it doesn't have a web cam. Does anyone know if you can buy a web-cam and use it with the iPad?

A windows laptop would probably be the safest way to go in my experience. (I've done the same thing with my mom, only it was a desktop PC).

Simply because Windows is more prevalent out in the real world. The people she will be trying to connect with via email or video chat or whatever will most likely be using some version of Windows, making it easier for them to explain to her how to performs certain tasks in case you aren't around. For example, when my mom has a question or is having problems with her PC she doesn't always have to come to me. My sister can help her out on some things as well and she's not really a computer person, but she has a Windows PC to reference.

Ok, makes sense. Btw, I just realized that the iPad doesn't have a webcam which is a deal-breaker. So I guess that brings the question to: Mac laptop or Windows laptop? I personally use Windows but the proposed new laptop will be for my grandma so simplicity is essential. Anyone else want to weigh in?

I Set up a Windows XP based desktop for my nan, gave her step-by-step instructions and VNC for Remote desktop if things go haywire.

Now she can write,send and check her emails like a pro :D

I'd go with a Windows based desktop and set it up with VNC if she needs any help.

Back
Top Bottom