Bulldozer ready?

bentomo

Baseband Member
I've asked a friend of mine if amd is coming out with a new processor to compete with intels i7, he said bulldozer is what will come out.

The thing is I'm building a new pc and if I could I'd like to be able to upgrade the processor without buying a new board, from my understanding all I need to do is get a motherboard with an up to date chipset that can be updated to be compatible with bulldozer, 890gx for example.

So is that all I need to be ready for bulldozer? (that and ddr3 ram)

There will be new sockets for mobiles and desktops. Desktops though will be AM3r2 (Most likely AM3+) which will be identical to todays socket, just different pinouts. These will be DDR3 only, and will not have backwards compatibility with older socket types. Nothing has been said if older AM3 or AM2+ CPUs with DDR3 support will work in AM3r2.On the server side, there will be two new sockets. Socket G34 (Quad Channel memory) and Socket C32 (Dual Channel memory).If you wait till first quarter of 2011 it should be out.Than you can build your rig with the new CPU/Motherbroad components.

So I couldn't put a bulldozer cpu into a current motherboards with a bios update?

I got a feeling that the Bulldozer chips will require new chipsets and that means new motherboards.

You will need a bios update, but and has stated that there will be a version of bulldozer on am3.

You need to keep in mind that bulldozer will not be more powerful than traditional multicore CPUs upon release. You'll need to wait abut three generations before the technology is mature.

You need to keep in mind that bulldozer will not be more powerful than traditional multicore CPUs upon release. You'll need to wait abut three generations before the technology is mature.

This doesn't make any sense. This like saying that the i7 wasn't mature when it was released, and you need to wait three generations before buying one.

Bulldozer is a new design, but that doesn't mean it won't be fast enough for consumers to use. The design behind bulldozer is to rely on parallel execution via an onboard GPU or a discreet GPU solution while utilizing the CPU's ability to execute integer related commands faster than GPUs can, thus the whole "Fusion" thing AMD is rocking.

Back
Top Bottom