Setting up new server

calebsurface

Solid State Member
Hi,
I recently was given and IBM eServer XSeries 345 and I can't figure out how to set it up. Could anyone possibly help me in this venture?

Thanks,
Caleb Surface

Right now I am at no point of setting it up. I've tried to install Ubuntu Server on it, but that didn't work. I've tried installing Windows XP on it, but that didn't work either. Not sure if I'm not doing it right or something. I would like to be able to use this at home as either a file server/proxy server type thing, or as just a super computer for personal use if that is possible.

you need to download the server guide CD.

it's a free download from IBMs site.

you download that, burn it to a CD and boot from that, it asks you a load of questions about setting up the RAID on the server, and the OS that you're going to install...

Crucially you need this CD because it'll load the SCSI drivers that are not included on the windows or linux distributions.

(otherwise (with windows at least) you've have to press f6 when booting from the CD and select to load extra drivers).

Okay so I made the disk and all, but I can't seem to get it to boot from the disk. How do I go about this?

have you set the server to boot from the CD in the bios?

also, are you sure that you downloaded the server-guide CD and not the server-raid CD

I got the ServerGuide CD. I tried looking in the bios to tell it to boot from disk, but I can't seem to find that...

I'm not sure which it is, but I want to say it's an SCSI maybe? I can tell you that it is an IBM eServer xSeries 345 Machine Type: 8670 Model Number: 71X

When I say it doesn't work, I mean that I can't even get it to boot from the disk in order to install.

Back
Top Bottom