Concerning rebooting

WildStriker

Solid State Member
If I reformat my laptop, will it change the ip address? Or will it remain the same?

Hoping to hear from you.

Thanks

Welcome to CF!

If you reboot the laptop typically this will renew the IP address. However, that doesn't mean that you won't be assigned the same IP address out of the DHCP pool of addresses, just means that it will renew. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Welcome to CF!

If you reboot the laptop typically this will renew the IP address. However, that doesn't mean that you won't be assigned the same IP address out of the DHCP pool of addresses, just means that it will renew. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

There is a technical problem with my laptop. Every time I log in it gives me a blank screen until I go to task manager and activate explorer. It might not be a big issue but its very annoying having to repeat the routine over and over again. A reboot will solve it (as I've been told) but also a problem because I will need the same ip address for internet when I go back to my flat for university.

There is a technical problem with my laptop. Every time I log in it gives me a blank screen until I go to task manager and activate explorer. It might not be a big issue but its very annoying having to repeat the routine over and over again. A reboot will solve it (as I've been told) but also a problem because I will need the same ip address for internet when I go back to my flat for university.

Next time you boot up and start Explorer, create a new startup entry for the Explorer file. Go to C:\Windows and find the Explorer file and then create a shortcut into the startup folder on your start menu > All programs > Startup, see if that solves the minor issue you're facing.

Something's messed up clearly if explorer doesn't start automatically maybe try doing a repair install of windows. This won't format and start fresh it will just fix settings and files in windows hopefully to the point where explorer just starts. Or just stick explorer in the startup folder but I heard that explorer needs to start automatically first then the programs in the startup folder will initialize after that but I am not completely sure.

What version of windows are you using?

Something's messed up clearly if explorer doesn't start automatically maybe try doing a repair install of windows. This won't format and start fresh it will just fix settings and files in windows hopefully to the point where explorer just starts. Or just stick explorer in the startup folder but I heard that explorer needs to start automatically first then the programs in the startup folder will initialize after that but I am not completely sure.

What version of windows are you using?

Vista.

Also, I meant reformat. Edited the post.

Vista.

Also, I meant reformat. Edited the post.

The IP address is determined by the router, the laptop will send a request for an IP address and the router/modem will assign an IP address out of a pool of addresses. If you're looking for a specific IP address, you can set a static IP address through both the router/modem or the computer itself. Is this what you're looking for?

Back
Top Bottom