Where should I start with programming?

Shazer2

Baseband Member
Alright so I'm new to programming and just wondering what is a good language to start with. I read berry120's thread but didn't get much out of it as I don't know much about programming.
I've used GML(Game Maker Language) if anyone knows what that is, i'm not really into game making, more into utilities and tools..
I'd love to learn C# or C++ but people tell me it is like learning chinese and i struggle to learn the easiest languages, so can anyone suggest some compiler for C++ and C# that I could learn also redirect me to some tutorials. Or maybe even contact me privately and teach me a few simple things

my advice would look up everything you have heard and get a book and if you have any questions just ask i don't know much about programming but would like to learn so it would help alot of us out if you post your learning and questions... thats how i learn everything asking these guys and also reading books... RTFM (read the friggin manual) lol thats what i live by then you ask questions... but post for us too lol...good luck

i haven't do much programming in awhile... used to be good at righting java and c c+.... hey start with batch files and they will help also gives you a feel for what your going to be up to

Like learning Chinese? Who told you that? I'd be awful at Chinese and I'm fine with programming. What didn't you understand about the sticky? I'll gladly explain things that weren't clear.

I wouldn't really recommend starting with batch files, you can end up using gotos and all sorts of nasty things that might get you into bad habits later.

I dunno, someone told me it's really hard to learn. I just don't understand reading alot of paragraphs, is there any chance you have msn, and we can discuss it?

I dunno, someone told me it's really hard to learn.
That someone is either below average at picking these sorts of things up, is being taught really badly, or isn't actually learning at all ;)

I just don't understand reading alot of paragraphs
Unfortunately if you're going to learn how to code you'll need to read things like this and take them in - no it's not solid reading all the way through but you'll definitely need to be able to read and take in information!

Afraid I don't really have MSN - well, I kind of do but I'm not on it that much and I make a point of not giving it out to anyone who asks (historically I've been bombarded with programming questions on there so I try to keep it to a minimum these days!) It's best you ask questions on here if you can, you're welcome to PM me but if they go on the forum everyone can learn from them.

Back
Top Bottom