Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shazer2

Baseband Member
First off, I'm just wondering is there anyway you can host a server to share files over a network? Let's say a website with an upload tool which stores the files in a separate folder and can be accessed from different computers?

Next, How much does this cost? Is there any cost involved or can you get around it and do it for free?

Lastly, What programs are needed to do this? Any certain programs, if yes, what are they and are they open-source?

*Solved* Downloaded DropBox, does the job just fine :)

Yes, DropBox is a great program for that type of sharing between users on a smallish network.

I don't look at dates when a thread is on the front page of a forum. When the post is on the second page, I usually exercise a little more caution. If I'm going to be slapped on the wrist for trying to bring conversation to a forum that is otherwise dead (it wasn't even that far down) then the 2 week rule is shooting itself in the foot. If you want to generate traffic on a web forum, you need to keep interesting conversations going. In this case, I was sounding off that Drop Box was a great program for this kind of thing, and adding my experience to it. 0 reply posts aren't very informative, and users generally shy away from them even if they contain useful information, even when the forum rules say to use the search feature.

So I've been naughty. Give me a break. If you want a community full of useful information, then 2 weeks is a little ridiculous. If it was 2 weeks and on the second page, then I would totally agree, but I saw a post that was still on the front page of this particular forum and thought I'd add some experience to it. Isn't that what forums are for?

The Problem had been solved, also as you stated it was on the second page on one of the most least posted parts of the forum...In short don't bump old threads.

It was NOT on the second page. That's my point.

Getting into a pissing match over a relatively small point in a public forum is stupid. If you have a problem with me, take it up in PMs. I'm not going to defend myself further, I stand by my post.

og: some subforums are slower moving than others, so you'll see that often there could be a thread many months old still on the first page...

Generally, it's best not to bump really old threads just for the sake of it, if there is something really important to add, technically insightful, an absolute solution, and you know that the original poster is still active on the forums... then the 2 week rule could perhaps be bent a little...

gmcrepair:, we're not running a vigilante community. if you see a problem with a post, report it, then a mod will come along. and if the post has no value to it that post will be removed so that the thread falls back to the bottom, or the thread could be locked. or the post could be split out to a new post. or any number of solutions that would have had a more positive impact that arguing with new people who aren't entirely aufáit with the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom