cant delette help

biferi

Daemon Poster
I have win xp pro and have a Folder in My Documents that I Delette.

It says
Can't Delette file can't read fromn sorce disk.

It is a Folder I downloaded with a hard to get Song.

Anyway I tryed to Highlight it and then Hold Shift and click Delette and did not work.
I go into Safe Mode and look in My Documents and it does not show up so I can't Delette it in Safe Mode.

I ram my Windows Update for my Secureity Esantals pack and did a Scan and it found nothing.

I was going to try to Delette it in DOS but I am not sure ho the command line would go. The folder I want to delette is in My Documents and in there it is in My Music folder.

My Profile is called Robert Costo
so would I type

C:\documents and settings\robert costo\desktop\my documents\my music\

then the name of the folder in here I want to delette and then the word DEL
???????????

You would actually type "rd [foldername]" but the directory HAS to be empty.
Go into the folder "cd [foldername]" and type "dir *.*" to list all the files.
Then delete them, "del *.*"

Are there any files in the directory? Any hidden files? If so, take ownership of them and then delete them.
Here's some more info on that. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Ok my Folder I want to del is in My Documents in my music

And it is called
Black Snake Moan

so I sould go into cmd then when I am in DOS type cd and hit enter to get it to take me to the Root DIR

Then type

my documents\my music\black snake moan del

is this it???????????????

Open a command prompt in safe mode and type the following:

Cd\
Cd documents and settings\robert costo\desktop\my documents\my music
rd black snake moan

see what that produces.

Thanks it told me

The system can not find the Path spacifed.

And this is what it says if I just highlight it and hit the Delette key.

But the Folder is in My Documents I see it and when I open it nothing is in it?????????????????????

Try
rd black snake moan /x
OR
rd black snake moan /s

If neither of those work... i.e. you still get the same error, run a CHKDISK. Could just be a ghost file.

I used unlocker free program and it worked

I used unlocker free program and it worked

Try deleteing it and in safe mode. Tap F10 before windows starts and then go to start in safe mode and let it boot. Then try to delete. The command prompt can be sometime convoluted.

For future reference, the command line (not DOS) is just another interface where you can remove a file - it does it exactly the same way as graphically. So if it fails on one, it's more than likely it'll fail on the other as well.

Running chkdsk or booting into safe mode would be the sensible thing to try in this instance.

@berry120 I actually didn't know that (about DOS and GUI), I would +1 ya but apparently I have to spread the love some more

Back
Top Bottom