Repeating Router Help

benokkema

Baseband Member
So I have this old Netgear wireless router lying around my house, and I looked at it and found that it has a wireless repeating feature (or something like that). It's a Netgear RangeMax WPN824 v3. I already have wireless in my house and my question is this:

Am I able to use the repeating feature on it and place it next to my xbox 360 and just use the LAN cable it came with?

My computer is down stairs and I don't really want to buy the 100 dollar adapter so I can play live.

Thanks!

I my friend just borrowed my old one and is doing the same thing... i;m going to call him and ask how he set it up. But i know it is possible

Yes. You have to configure it to act as a repeater. To do this you'll need to connect a computer to it and login to it by accessing the IP address it has. Then you will be able to configure it from settings within the router -- not sure on the exact ones though.

Cool. So I make them have the same IP address? Or does the repeaters automatically pick up the signal if I put in the base routers MAC address?

No, they need to have different IP's. And once you get it into Repeater mode you'll have to connect it to the wireless network - not put in the MAC address.

Of course, I've never actually set one up, just going from troubleshooting/helping others who have.

So I access the router an put it in repeating mode and it asks for the MAC address of the base station (my other router) and it asks to put in a IP address for the system so I put 10.0.0.1 and then it says please wait and won't change

So I've been reading more about my router, and my new question is this:

Can I bridge my Netgear WPN824v3 router to my Actiontec router/modem even if the actiontec does not support wireless repeating as they call it? Or should I just go out and buy a new router I can bridge with?

And I read that you can compile a custom firmware out of the source code and tools that the netgear website provides and I'm wondering if anyone has any info on this. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom