Date / software problem

mmb42

Baseband Member
I am running windows xp (getting a new windows soon) on my computer.

Last night I go to bed and turn it off. Nothing was wrong.

This morning turn my computer on to find that the date and time is suddenly wrong. Here is a screencap of my current time and date:

15z41a9.jpg

I guess because of this it thinks programs are new etc. another screen shot...all the highlighted stuff showing as new...not new....
25suav6.jpg

Any ideas? I didn't change anything yesterday....don't think I've used anything recently other then internet.

Check the BIOS battery, usually time problems and time resets are BIOS issues. If the BIOS battery is dead (rare but still possible) that could've caused the problem, although shouldn't have if it was plugged in. Try going to the BIOS and changing the date and time settings, or see if they are messed up too. Let us know.

O.k. I changed the time and date in the start up settings/bios

It held them and the computer started up. However, it keeps saying "new hardware" has been installed. A floppy drive. Nothing has been installed.

O.k. I just agreed with it basically and let it install this "floppy" and now its running fine.

I have never updated my bios and in my reading someone suggested I do that. Knowing nothing about computers, and since mine is current for the moment running fine, should I do this? The computer is three or so years old.

O.k. I changed the time and date in the start up settings/bios

It held them and the computer started up. However, it keeps saying "new hardware" has been installed. A floppy drive. Nothing has been installed.

O.k. I just agreed with it basically and let it install this "floppy" and now its running fine.

I have never updated my bios and in my reading someone suggested I do that. Knowing nothing about computers, and since mine is current for the moment running fine, should I do this? The computer is three or so years old.

Yeah it usually happens as a result of not updating the BIOS.

I've been doing some reading about it. I've found what I believe is an updated version on the motherboard makers website.

But I am still worried about doing it since I am relatively useless.

Back
Top Bottom