Can't Log in to Windows Vista

There was no virus. It was corrupted files which I had said in the beginning. Thanks for your input, but....a little on a late side. My customer would have shot me had I still had her computer...2 weeks from when I took it.

Could you refer to what files were corrupt and what you did to fix it? I am kind of curious and so I could use it as a reference.

I attempted to use system restore; no go.

I attempted to do a startup repair; no go.

I attempted a chkdsk; no go, everything was "fine".

I attempted an sfc /scannow; no go. Said some files could not be repaired and to check the log. The log showed nill that "could not be repaired".

Chalked it up to being that someone shut the computer down with the power button or the power went out and they probably had disk caching on.

Reinstalled; worked perfect after that, of course.

Microsoft had pretty much nothing on the issue. If it's any help, safe mode would boot, but not normal Windows. I thoroughly checked all services and start-up items but found nothing of significance that would hinder it--so it had to be corrupt of missing core Windows items. Along with zero viruses or spyware.

I never once had problems with it. It's only been non-tech savvy people that have struggled.

Not if disk caching was turned on and the power went out or they killed the power on the machine.

You shouldn't see perma-corrupt data with RAM; things are only stored there while the computer is on.

Maybe this is too simplistic to work, but have you tried taking the BIOS battery out of the motherboard for an hour? Also unplug it obviously, I've had that fix stupid errors.

Um, I don't think it was the BIOS. But again, people, I stress to you that I no longer have this computer in my hands. The problem was fixed with a reinstallation.

In fact, could a mod please close this so we can stop bumping this. Haha.

Back
Top Bottom