Windows 2008 and XP Pro clients

pcsupport

Solid State Member
I have a customer with a 2008 SBS server and XP Pro clients logging in through AD.

The problem is that the machines are losing the connection to the server at least twice a day and they then need to be rebooted and logged back in.

Any suggestions / hints on why this is happening?

Any fixes?

I don't know of anything right off hand, but I would make sure all computers and all servers are updated.

Are all of the clients using connection? Do they lose interent connection or just network connection? Is there a certain time of day that it happens? Does just logging off back in work, or do they need to be completly restarted?

They all lose connections to mapped drives twice a day. The machines will pick up the mappings again after either a reboot or log off/on and yes, they lose connectivity at the same time.

Have you checked the switches/routers that they are connected to? It's unusual for them to all lose connetion. Are they still able to access the Internet? That will tell us if it's a network issue. Also the fact that a reboot fixes all of them also signifies that it's probably not a network issue. Do they have static IP address? Is it the same time every day?

Have you checked the switches/routers that they are connected to? It's unusual for them to all lose connetion. Are they still able to access the Internet? That will tell us if it's a network issue. Also the fact that a reboot fixes all of them also signifies that it's probably not a network issue. Do they have static IP address? Is it the same time every day?

Also anther thing I want to add on to this. Do the router has the lastest or stable working firmware. I use to have a router that would reboot four 4 times a day randomly because of bad firmware.

That would be my first guess is a bad firmware. How old are the switches/routers and also have you changed spots on the switch they are plugged in at... Sometime some of the ports go bad or short out and all you have to do is change them but it also lets you know that its time to change out the switch

Back
Top Bottom