Navigating Ubuntu

MetalOverlord76

Daemon Poster
Ok, here's a problem that's been iritating me to the point of total insanity:

I really have no clue how to use Ubuntu. I've been trying to connect wireless to the internet. It took me a while to figure out that to configure your connection, you'd need to use a button on the top right side of the upper task / options bar. Unfortunately, I blank out and I have no idea what to do beyond this point. With Windows 7, I plug in my USB Network adaptor and install a driver update. But with Ubuntu, I have a difficult time figuring out which option I want and what I need to do for those options. I am using a DSL connection provided by Quest.

You may need to plug the computer in to a wired connection and download the hardware drivers.

A wired connection would mean that I must have my computer physically plugged into my modem. I am moving into a house which will have an office in an upper floor, and my computer in a lower floor. The upper floor will contain the modem / router.

You may need to plug the computer in to a wired connection and download the hardware drivers.

This is probably the easiest option, and it's the one that I've taken whenever getting wireless working. You'd only need to plug it in there once to grab the drivers - once you've got them then you should be able to do everything else wirelessly :)

I had to install ubuntu on a load of a computers i did for a charity. There website tells you everything you could possibly need to know my friend.
https://help.ubuntu.com/7.04/internet/C/connect-to-internet.html
This page will let you know if your card is supported by linux
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported
You wouldn't need to plug it in for long, assuming your ethernet will work. Could always download what you need on another computer and use a pen drive to copy over and install everything you need.

I wish they put more drivers and necessary software into Ubuntu. Say, anyone know of a site with Ubuntu software repository DVDs? I used to know one, but the bookmark was lost.

This is probably the easiest option, and it's the one that I've taken whenever getting wireless working. You'd only need to plug it in there once to grab the drivers - once you've got them then you should be able to do everything else wirelessly :)

Interesting. I will make an attempt when the time comes *Crosses fingers*

Back
Top Bottom