asus netbook "limited or no connectivity"

Do you have a machine that is working? If so, could you log into your router, and check through the options to make sure that the DHCP server is running?

Well Specifically The Ethernet (if this is how the laptops connect) or the wireless (if this is how the laptop connects).
ok ill get that up soon
Do you have a machine that is working? If so, could you log into your router, and check through the options to make sure that the DHCP server is running?

im thinking it has something to do with my router. i just rememberd my ipod does the same thing (it connects but i cant use the internet). im thinking my router sucks or something. its a linksys wrt 100 is that any good? also i have no idea what dhcp is or how to log onto my router

here is what it says under wireless network connection

connection-specific DNS suffix- cable.rcn.com
link-local ipv6 address- fe80: :15cf :f2d5 : f580 : b294%9
ipv4 address- 192.168.1.100
subnet mask- 255.255.255.0
default gateway- 192.168.1.1

Hmm... DHCP is a service/server which automatically gives devices on your network (amongst other things) an IP address.

However, it seems that your machine has got an IP address, so it might not be that...

To log into your router, visit 192.168.1.1 on a machine which can connect to the internet. By default, the username and password are both "admin".

Have a look through the settings there. If you find anything to do with "MAC Filtering", disable it. And if you found that DHCP was disabled (which I doubt), then enable it.

Do you know if your Wi-Fi Connection is encrypted with WPA or Wi-Fi?

I would turn off the wireless encryption for now and see if that lets you connect. Sometimes you can use an encryption on the router that other computers can't understand and therefore can't connect. (Could be the same issue on the IPod)

I would turn off the wireless encryption for now and see if that lets you connect. Sometimes you can use an encryption on the router that other computers can't understand and therefore can't connect. (Could be the same issue on the IPod)

Yeah, that's worth a try too.

You can disable Wi-Fi Encryption from the router control panel, too.

alright so i went to log into my router and i didnt know my username and password (it wasnt admin). my sister reset the router by holding the button for 30 seconds. now nothing works wirelessly. i dont know what i need to do to fix the router, right now i am connecting to some random network.

When you say 'nothing works wirelessly' do you mean your other computers are connecting to the wireless network but not to the Internet? If you reset it using the factory reset buttons, you'll have to reconfigure it with any settings the ISP requires for connection to their modem. This could be a username/password, static IP address, PPPoE connection, or other types of config info. You should have this info on a sheet of paper that they usually leave. If not you'll have to call the ISP.

If you mean that they won't connect at all to the wireless network, you'll want to hard wire a computer in and login to the router to reconfigure your wireless settings. You will need to change the network (SSID) name as well as re-add security. Make sure you have the other computers scan for available networks and it wouldn't hurt to delete the old wireless profile that the computers have stored.

Back
Top Bottom