How to reboot my computer

Colles

Solid State Member
Hey Guys,
New here to the forum, and new in general to computer tech. Just wanted to know what to do to reboot my computer. I built a computer using Windows Vista 64bit with an 780sli FTW Mobo and a two hard drives. Just wanted to clean my computer completely and get rid of any viruses and other stuff i could have gotten over the past two years. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Colles

Welcome to CF!

When you got the computer, were you provided with a copy of the installation CD?

And more importantly, does your computer have a valid license key/sticker on it?

If you built the pc yourself then I'm assuming you also bought a retail version of an OS?

Assuming that, all you need to do is insert the installation CD and restart your computer and boot from the cd and follow the directions to format your hard drive and partition it if you want. Make sure you back up all your important files, burn them to cd's or something because everything will be erased.

Tommy Boy,
I did build the computer myself and i am running Windows Vista 64 Bit. I just wanna get rid of any viruses and such. My only fear is if im going to be doing it correctly or not. I would prefer to run a scan and try and clean it that way but how reliable is that going to be? I am running AVG as my anti-virus. Any suggestions maybe using that, or just cleaning everything off and starting over again.

I'd do it simple. Reinstall Windows, antivirus are to much of a hassle because some of the infected files it deletes are important Windows files.
If you want to use your antivirus, do this:
Run your antivirus scan and do whatever you need. Then, type "sfc /scannow" into the Start menu search box or command prompt and press enter. It will take a bit, but it will search for corrupted or missing Windows files and replace them. It keeps your settings and drivers.

Tommy Boy,
I did build the computer myself and i am running Windows Vista 64 Bit. I just wanna get rid of any viruses and such. My only fear is if im going to be doing it correctly or not. I would prefer to run a scan and try and clean it that way but how reliable is that going to be? I am running AVG as my anti-virus. Any suggestions maybe using that, or just cleaning everything off and starting over again.
Really, when you are reinstalling windows you can't do it wrong, just follow directions and windows installs itself. But like I said, back up your important files first, they will be erased when you format the drive.

Okay new questions now:
How do i correctly partition my drives? I have a velicoraptor 70 gig and a WD caviar 500 gig. I only want my OS on the velicoraptor for faster boot up time. I want things like games, itunes and other programs on the bigger one. Is there a command prompt to do it when i reboot it?

You don't need to partition any drives if you want one whole hard drive for your os and another whole hard drive for storage. All you do is format the drive you want to install windows on as a whole, no partitioning needed. Then when you have windows all installed, it should detect your storage drive and assign it a drive letter and you'll be good to go. If you already have files on it then you don't want to format it, everything will be erased.

See I tried that the first time and it worked great. I recognized the Velociraptor as the drive I wanted for my OS. But, as i started installing games and other stuff, it simply kept putting everything on that one. Now Im having a hard time trying to either uninstall stuff to switch it to the other drive, or keep the VR from becoming full. Im at less than 1 gig of space left. This is the real reason why I started the thread.

-Colles

When installing software, specify that it goes onto the other hard drive. There is almost always an option to browse.

Back
Top Bottom