Windows XP Issues

chrisb1609

Solid State Member
Hey guys,

We just had an electrical storm come through and after powering the computers back up, we found that one of them was having some issues. It won't connect to our network anymore and it stopped using the default windows xp theme for the start menu and windows.

On the network trouble:
-It has no IP address assigned
-The icon in the system tray shows that it's trying to connect
-ipconfig /release returns IP Address for adapter ... has already been released.
-ipconfig /renew returns The RPC server is unavailable.

My first thought was that some of the files were shredded, but aside from replacing all of them by hand, I'm not quite sure how to approach this problem. Any thoughts on how to fix or further diagnose?

Go into the properties for TCPIP and check the IP settings.

Start > Control panel > network and internet connections > network connections > right click your network connection and click "properties" > highlight "internet protocol (tcp/ip) and click "properties"

If you have it set to a static IP address make sure the settings are correct and that you have a DNS server entered.

Open "Run" on the Start Menu. Type "sfc /scannow" (you will need your XP CD).
This is the System File Checker that will scan your installation for corrupted or missing files and replace them.

Does the screen have "Safe Mode" in the corners?

Hey lucasbytegenius.

To answer your question, no, "Safe Mode" doesn't appear in the corners. It boots into normal mode, but it's slow as all get out, and then it boots in the old 95/98 looking windows theme and refuses to connect to the internet.

Thanks for the tip about sfc. I tried using it, but it closed after progress bar hit 100%, so I assume that it didn't find anything. I might try rerunning from command prompt to see if it returns anything better than that.

Another thing I forgot to mention was that it randomly started working at one point. Coincidentally this was 2 restarts after we replaced the rpc dlls manually. No idea if the two are related.

It also didn't help when I disabled all security programs, (some people had issues with a firewall program stopping the server from working).

Any other thoughts?

Well, when it quit at 100%, it was finished. Check your router, hub, or switch. It may have been zapped. Try replacing one with another one that you know works right.

All the hardware works correctly, and all network nodes are in use and working fine with the exception of this computer.

I forgot to mention that this is a dual-boot machine, and the internet is working fine on the other OS.

All the hardware works correctly, and all network nodes are in use and working fine with the exception of this computer.

I forgot to mention that this is a dual-boot machine, and the internet is working fine on the other OS.

I'm actually having the same problem with my XP machine right now.
I can temporarily get connection by doing system restore to about month ago. After I restart it though, it goes back to the no network/basic windows theme.

Hey EnvyOS,

Yeah. I've actually posted this to another board to see what they can come up with this. Also working this from the standpoint that it could also be a virus/spyware/malware. Will let you know if we can get a correct fix.

Hey EnvyOS,

Yeah. I've actually posted this to another board to see what they can come up with this. Also working this from the standpoint that it could also be a virus/spyware/malware. Will let you know if we can get a correct fix.

Alright cool. I already scanned my whole system twice and no Viruses / Trojans / Malware came up. Makes me wonder why a power shortage would do this...

It could have done it. like when we use a certain appliance in the kitchen all the power will go out if we have lots of stuff running but then we think is it the appliance it self and we have had the power checked and they could find anything wrong so it makes you think if there wires are faulty.

Back
Top Bottom