Can't set up Gigabit connection

DePhille

Beta member
Hi there,

I'm having a problem setting up a Gigabit connection between my Laptop and my Desktop (Windows 7 Peer to Peer connection). When I plug the cable, the connection is established but lasts about less than a second before it's disconnected again. After about another 10 seconds, the connection is established again for less than a second etc. When the connection is established during that second, the speed is indeed set to 1Gbit/sec, as it should be.

What I'm seeing on the Laptop's adapter (Compal):
  1. A network cable is unplugged (constantly)

What I'm seeing on the Desktop's adatper (Antec):
  1. A network cable is unplugged (for about 10seconds)
  2. Identifying (for about a second)
  3. Unidentified network (For about less than a second)
  4. And back to "A network cable is unplugged"

The problem lies with the laptop (Compal). I've tried to connect three other laptops to my Desktop (on both Ethernet cards) and they all established a Gigabit connection without any problem.
I've tested the following cables:
  • Straight cable (Cat5e)
  • Crossover cable (Cat5e)
  • Cat5 cables
All of those cables worked with the other laptops, just not with the Compal.

The network interfaces on both computers are all set to the default factory settings. If I go into advanced settings and change the Speed & Duplex to 100Mbits on the Compal, the Compal immediately establishes a connection without any problem but setting it to 1Gbit or Auto Negotiation gives the same problem again.

I've got some Diagnostic software for the Ethernet card on the Laptop, and for the D-Link card on the desktop, so if you need any info from those please don't hesitate to ask. I've even got a packet sniffer available if you'd need some info from those. Also, if you require more specifications from either of the mentioned machines I'd be happy to upload a full hardware report.

Code:
[B]Laptop (Compal JHL90) - Referred to as "Compal"[/B]
------------------------------------------------
Operating System:	Windows 7 Ultimate (64Bits)
Ethernet:		Realtek 8168 (PCIe x1, 10/100/1000)
Ethernet Drivers:	Realtek 7.18.322.2010 (22nd of March, 2010)

Other info:
Motherboard:		Intel ICH9M (Cantiga)
Processor:		Intel Core 2 Duo T9400
Memory:			4GB DDR2 800Mhz (Dual Channel)
Graphics card:		nVidia 9600M GT
Hard Drive:		320GB 7200RPM

Code:
[B]Desktop - Referred to as "Antec"[/B]
--------------------------------
Ethernet1:		Onboard - nVidia nForce 10/100/1000
Ethernet1 Drivers:	nVidia 73.1.4.0 (30th of July, 2009)
Ethernet2:		D-Link DGE-530T	(10/100/1000)
Ethernet2 Drivers:	Marvell 10.51.1.9 (6th of December, 2007)

Other info:
Motherboard:		Asrock M3N78D
Processor:		AMD Athlon 2 X4 635
Memory:			2GB DDR3 1334Mhz (Dual Channel)
Graphics card:		ATI Radeon X800 XL
Hard Drive1:		Western Digital 250GB (SATA)
Hard Drive2:		Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB (SATA)

Thanks in advance!
DePhille

Those are actually the drivers I installed, but when I go to Device Manager the driver is listed as being from the 22nd of March, rather than the 21st of May. Perhaps something went wrong while installing the drivers?
Is there a way to check if the driver that's in use is actually the driver published on the 21st of May?

DePhille

Yes, by unistalling the one that is there, and downloading/installing the new one.

Back
Top Bottom