Dualboot Help

sargunster

Solid State Member
I have a Lenovo s10-3t with 250GB Hard Drive.
My current partitioning looks like this:
partitions.png

I want to know if I can install Ubuntu Netbook Remix on a new (30GB) partition and keep my other partitions. I also want to know if it will keep my Lenovo Quick Start (Splashtop). So I want to make it so that when I turn on the computer, Lenovo Quick Start opens, the when I click exit, GRUB comes up and gives me the choice between Windows 7 and Ubuntu Netbook Remix. And I would like to do this without a disk drive.

I'm a complete noob at this so a step-by-step guide would help. And I'd like to make sure Lenovo Quick Start stays.

Ive done some dualbooting on my other laptop (Win7/Linux Mint) but I've never had something like this.

You could try installing Ubuntu within Windows so you can remove it like a program. Just boot into Windows and insert your flash or CD of Ubuntu. It should pop up with an option, though I have never worked with the Netbook Remix.
I don't know anything about the Lenovo Splashtop boot manager. I will do some research and post back.

Splashtop is integrated into motherboard chips, according to my research.
It supports dual-booting with other operating systems, so Ubuntu should not have problem. Here's the article I read:

Concept

Splashtop is intended to be integrated on a read-only device and shipped with the hardware, rather than installed by the user. It does not prevent the installation of another operating system for dual booting. It boots in about 5 seconds, and is thus marketed as "instant-on."

Features

Splashtop features a graphical user interface, a web browser based on Mozilla Firefox 3.0, a Skype VoIP client and a chat client based on Pidgin. It also includes an Adobe Flash Player 10.

Limitations and requirements

Splashtop seems to work with a 512MB flash memory embedded on the PC motherboard. A proprietary core engine starts at the BIOS boot and loads a specialized Linux distribution called a "Virtual Appliance Environment" (VAE). While running this VAE, the user can launch "Virtual Appliances" (VA). Skype is a VA, for instance.

Alright, thanks. I've started the installation of Ubuntu Netbook Edition, but I read somewhere that wifi and touchscreen wont work on it for my netbook. Where can I get the drivers to fix these? Those are the 2 most important things (wifi cuz its a netbook, and touchscreen cuz its also a tablet)

Hi,

When you get Ubuntu installed, you have a couple of options one is to use proprietary drivers that ubuntu will find for you, but those aren't open source. If you want to use the open source wifi drivers I would like you to post the output for the following command from terminal. To find terminal go to Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal.

Code:
lspci [color=blue]l is a lower case L[/color]

Cheers!

Hi, What parts of the blog don't make sense to you. This is a better question then trying to guess what you need help with. Cheers!

Since my advice helped you, can you please be a pal and give me some positive rep points?

Back
Top Bottom