Assign Static IPs to Computers on a Network?

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Guys, I'm pretty sure this is possible but I don't know how to do it. Basically the problem is that when I restart computers on my network, my router will assign them a different IP address most of the time. Is there a way that I can assign each computer it's own IP address on the network?

It gets very hard to use TightVNC when the IP addresses are changing all the time. I have to keep going into my router to find out what computers are assigned what IP address in order to connect to them via T.VNC

Would I go about fixing this problem through my router, or is it something I need to do on each computer? I'm not that great with networking...so..that's why I'm asking this rather (probably) noobish question.

Even though your router may issue DHCP to each computer, you can go to each pc that you want to have specific IP addresses, by statically configuring those pc's with an ip address within the ip range of the router's DHCP scope. In the interest of saving myself of having to type out the directions and include screenshots :) ... here's a link that describes how to do this on an XP machine: http://www.hotcomm.com/faq/faq_staticipxp.asp

Google "How to assign static ip on computer"

Before you go down the static route see if your router has a "lease time" option for internal IP addresses. If you set this to "forever" the IP addresses shouldn't change but will still be assigned by the router, a better solution than forcing static IPs on each computer.

Thanks guys. I checked in my router and I just added them to the "DHCP Reservation" list so they won't expire now! Thanks for all your help guys!

Back
Top Bottom