I broke Ubuntu. :(

hockeygoalie5

In Runtime
So, I was updating Ubuntu and in the middle of the update I shut down. So, instead of shutting down I get this black console screen (nothing else) and it's asking me for my log in. I restart and boot Ubuntu again, it says file not found and something about it panicking, so I start panicking. Try it again, no dice.

Sounds almost like you broke you windowing system.

Hey, this is a good chance for you to try Fedora!

Ha, I'll look at Fedora then. I haven't done much to Ubuntu and it was having problems with installations and updates, so I guess no harm done to reinstall.

EDIT: I reinstalled Ubuntu (update looks really cool) and got it back the way I want it.

Hi,

Glad everything got back to normal. Just so you know there is always an easy fix for linux when it brakes even if you have to do a reinstall.

Cheers!

Reinstalling is of course the easy option, though the good thing about Linux is if you know what the error messages mean you can usually just fix the bit that's broken rather than reinstalling the whole lot (as oppose to windows where if something critical happens you almost always have to reinstall everything.)

In this case you probably needed to rebuild your kernel - it was most likely updating it when you powered off leaving you with a corrupt one (the error message was most likely a kernel panic).

I broke it again

I changed the res on GRUB and got this:
vga=794 is deprecated use set gfxpayload=1024x768x24,1024x768 before linux command instead
It usually continued to boot shortly after showing this, but not anymore. I really don't want to reinstall...

Hi,

vga=794 is deprecated use set gfxpayload=1024x768x24,1024x768 before linux command instead
Basically what this is saying is that 794 isn't a size that GRUB 2 can handle. Where did you change the resolution of GURB 2? Basically what I would do is when you reach the GRUB 2 menu hit c, this will bring you to the command line. From there enter vbeinfo to find the sizes that GRUB 2 can handle.

Cheers!

How do I change the res in the command line?

EDIT: I pushed c a bunch of times on the error screen and it loaded Ubuntu! :S I opened terminal and ran vbeinfo, cannot recognize command.

Back
Top Bottom