computer can't detect audio device

gib65

Baseband Member
I have just setup a computer for someone and there's no audio. I have the audio cable connected to the monitor, but when I open control panel and look at sounds and audio devices, it says "no audio device" and everything is greyed out (disabled). How can I tell my computer that there is an audio device (the monitor) connected to it?

Is the proper driver installed for the device? Check the device manager.

Also, you can set the default audio device under control panel.

Thanks for the replies. I *think* I managed to install the right driver for it (I found it on a CD), but the audio device (C-Media AC97 v.5.12.1.51) in the device manager still shows a yellow ! on it and when I open its properties, its status says "the device cannot start (code 10)".

All my online searches for the right driver have turned up short (HP and C-Media say they've discontinued it) and the CD is the only source I have.

I determined the driver type and version from the device properties (double clicking the device in the device manager list). Is it possible this could be wrong? Is it possible the copy on the CD is corrupted? Is there anywhere online I could download a different copy?

Thanks again for all your help.

HP Pavilion 540n
Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU
1.60 GHz, 224 MB RAM
Sys.#: P7538A
Se.#: MX20768827

Back
Top Bottom