Create Portal (custom Cms Vs. Joomla/wordpress/drupal)

mcfelpe

Baseband Member
Hi Everyone, I need to start on a Portal and I already created a custom CMS for small to medium websites with multilanguage capabilities. I need some advise for those with vast experience working on portals, what is the best way to make it. (more faster and easier of course). using customized CMS or ready made CMS (JOOMLA/WORDPRESS/DRUPAL ETC...) thanks everyone, your opinions are highly appreciated.

Wordpress is currently the most supported and widely used CMS out there. I don't personally believe that there is a one-size fits all CMS for any web-project. In some cases the extra expense of a custom CMS can be easily justified (a large-scale e-commerce website with multitudes of RSS feeds, cross-vendor integration, developer API's, etc...). On the other hand, John's computer emporium that gets about 10 hits a week would probably be well suited for Drupal.

The best thing to do is spend a reasonable amount of time scoping the project and determine which solution fits best.

I'd first look at writing an extension to another CMS - if at all possible (I've never looked into the processes involved.) There's no point reinventing the wheel - and if you can base it off of another suitable CMS, chances are it'll be more secure and stable than one you've written from scratch.

Back
Top Bottom