pleeease I need help !!

erne-305

Beta member
hey guys, I guess this is a newbie question.
Im working in a company as and IT and I need to log into the server through my lap top at my house, I think that the program LOGMEIN can help but I dont know how to use it, I have everything I need from the server, IP address, netmask, gateway, hostname etc, I just dont know how to access the server while Im in my house and I need to schedule a backup or something, please help, thanK you

its like REMOTE SERVER MANAGEMENT

Logmein can work in this instance. You first install an application on your server, then log into your account on logmein.com. From that page you can then view what computers are online and take over their control if you wish.

You do need physical access to your server to set it up though - that part can't be done remotely.

alright, ill do that but to access the server windows screen is a little bit complicated and to install any program as well, but let me see what I can do, thank though

Agreed Logmein is what you need. Its browser based as well so you can use it from any PC. I use it for the exact same reasons you are stating.

Make an account, install the client and log in. It really is that simple

This guy is working as an IT and he doesn't know how to remote log in to the server? Let alone getting access to the server? Something is rotten in the state of Denmark. . .

This guy is working as an IT and he doesn't know how to remote log in to the server? Let alone getting access to the server? Something is rotten in the state of Denmark. . .

+1

Logmein is the easiest way and it's super simple so I can't believe the OP is having trouble with it....

seems fishy...

to be honest...

log me in can work...

BUT, and this is a big but, you are installing a client on your server, that client is connected to a server of a third party and you're running your communications from them, you can log in from anywhere: great, but at what cost?

I've seen people at the place I work use it, in fact one guy had it set up on a computer that he used on a client site, frankly it made me cringe...

If you want to use log me in, (or indeed the ignition version), on your home PC then as far as I'm concerned fine, go ahead and do that...

in a corporate environment, you should be looking at setting up a proper secure VPN tunnel from your remote machine to your remote work network, you should then be looking at logging on to something like a remote access server (so your VPN connection is restricted in that it can only give you network access to one or two machines), then your remote access boxes can give you greater access...

you shouldn't be installing third party clients on machines that send out meages to third party servers opening up methods for your machines to be connected to...

this whole log me in and go to my PC stuff is lovely if you do some work on your computer at home for example, but for a business, security should be your #1 priority, and you shouldn't be fielding out the job of setting up remote access methods to third party companies.

The whole thing about the service is that you don't have to play around with your firewalls etc, they've made it really easy for the home user to set up.
but think about this, every active log me in client has puched a hole through your firewall and opened up a ossible vector for attack.

do it once, do it right and do it yourself when it comes to security.

and in a business your 1 way in to your network should be by secure VPN tunnel.

I'm not casting any aspersions on the company Citrix, (who run the service), I like their software and I've heard no news stories that suggest that this service might not be secure, but to be honest, you wouldn't give keys to your house to a third party would you?

so why give a 'key' to your computer to a third party? -when it contains so much information about yourself that others might want.

Logmein can work in this instance. You first install an application on your server, then log into your account on logmein.com. From that page you can then view what computers are online and take over their control if you wish.

You do need physical access to your server to set it up though - that part can't be done remotely.

in a corporate environment, you should be looking at setting up a proper secure VPN tunnel from your remote machine to your remote work network, you should then be looking at logging on to something like a remote access server (so your VPN connection is restricted in that it can only give you network access to one or two machines), then your remote access boxes can give you greater access...

you shouldn't be installing third party clients on machines that send out meages to third party servers opening up methods for your machines to be connected to...

this whole log me in and go to my PC stuff is lovely if you do some work on your computer at home for example, but for a business, security should be your #1 priority, and you shouldn't be fielding out the job of setting up remote access methods to third party companies.

The whole thing about the service is that you don't have to play around with your firewalls etc, they've made it really easy for the home user to set up.
but think about this, every active log me in client has puched a hole through your firewall and opened up a ossible vector for attack.

do it once, do it right and do it yourself when it comes to security.

and in a business your 1 way in to your network should be by secure VPN tunnel.

I'm not casting any aspersions on the company Citrix, (who run the service), I like their software and I've heard no news stories that suggest that this service might not be secure, but to be honest, you wouldn't give keys to your house to a third party would you?

so why give a 'key' to your computer to a third party? -when it contains so much information about yourself that others might want.

I will have to agree with you on this. I am all about security and this logmein program creates a BIG security hole. It would work great for personal use but in corporate enviroment, that is a bugg no no.

I feel vpn is the best way to go. Then you could setup a ssh and do everything through that. I have done some remote desktop with the windows client and ultravnc(you can set security up with this program.) and I feel ssh, I have most control in. But that is my opinion, I just live in a terminal world.

Back
Top Bottom