anyone use freenas

bnizzel2000

Baseband Member
has anyone used this server program im thinking about building a server but i have never used this program and anything you guys can offer would be great full thanks guys

It's very easy to set up - if you're after a no nonsense file server with a configurable front end out of the box, then this is the way to go. If however you think you'll want your server to perform other tasks in the future, you might be better off setting things up manually from a more generic linux installation.

A few years back I always used to use Gentoo for this sort of stuff because it was so configurable, these days I'd opt for something like Ubuntu and strip out all of the stuff I didn't need instead.

File sharing is what a file server does, you'll be fine for that.

What do you mean by stream videos? Just host the video files, or actually maintain a live stream so something like VLC can hook in and play the video on the fly? If you mean the first you'll be fine with freenas (since you're not really streaming videos, just hosting files) but if it's the second you'll need something else.

In that case you just need a file server - give freenas a whirl and see how you get on with it.

Back
Top Bottom