Homegroup in Windows 7?

BariMutation

Beta member
Okay, here's what's going on. I just got the Cisco Valet, and I was up and running on the internet using my netbook within a few minutes. However, I'm having some issues setting up a homegroup. There are two things that are the matter; here is the first scenario:

I set up the homegroup on my netbook, let my desktop (which is connected directly into the router) in on it, and I can access all of my netbook files from my desktop. However, I can't access anything on my desktop from my netbook, even though I have the shared settings open to anyone on the network for both computers. Under the 'Network' tab on the sidebar on my netbook, there is simply nothing - it tells me that no other computers are present, even though my desktop can access my netbook's files.

The next scenario is much shorter; I try to set up a homegroup on my desktop and... that's about it. It simply doesn't work, even though I'm doing the exact same thing on my netbook and it works semi-fine.

These two things are leading me to believe that something is wrong with the privacy settings on my desktop, but I can't seem to fix any of it - according to my shared options, every single file should be opened up. Any ideas?

By the way, both computers are running Windows 7 Professional

Thanks for any help!!!!!

Make sure that you actually have passwords on both accounts on the netbook and the desktop. I'm not sure if this is an issue or not, but it might help.

Also make sure that you've set your wireless connection on the netbook to something other than "Public". Make sure that it is on "Home" or "Work".

Under the Network and Sharing Center, on the left hand side, there is a link for "Advanced Sharing Settings". You can go in there and make sure everything is setup correctly.

"Make sure that you actually have passwords on both accounts on the netbook and the desktop. I'm not sure if this is an issue or not, but it might help."

Yeah, they're both up to date with the password I chose. You're talking about the password for the homegroup, correct?

"Also make sure that you've set your wireless connection on the netbook to something other than "Public". Make sure that it is on "Home" or "Work"."

That was actually one of the first things I tried lol I wish it were that easy...

"Under the Network and Sharing Center, on the left hand side, there is a link for "Advanced Sharing Settings". You can go in there and make sure everything is setup correctly."

All the settings are fine... or, at the very least, the two computers are identical.

I don't think that this would be an issue, but could my firewall settings be doing something? Both computers have AVG, but the desktop (the one I can't access) has Webroot SpySweeper. There's really no options for me to choose concerning networks on there, so could I be missing something?

Thanks for replying and trying to help! :)

No I mean passwords on the user accounts. Sometimes in Vista...I know Vista...if the account didn't have a password set then it wouldn't let you share the files.

Oh... well, neither of my computers require a password on startup. Frankly, I don't even know how to set that up at this point O_O Let me research that and get back to you lol thanks!

-EDIT-
I just tried setting a password to both computers - nothing. I re-created a new homegroup after doing it, still nothing ;_;

Hmm....

Well...

Digging deep...

From here:
HomeGroup is available in all editions of Windows 7. In Windows 7 Starter and Windows 7 Home Basic, you can join a homegroup, but you can't create one.
One or more required services are not running. The Peer Networking Grouping and HomeGroup Provider* services must both be running.

From here:
Deleting the file idstore.sst under windows\serviceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking fixed it.

From here:
Yes, I've activated IPV6 on the desktop and it let me create the homegroup, and set ipv6 on notebook, and also let me join

I'm sorry to be such a bother :(

I tried all of those things to no avail, but I don't understand the bit about "Yes, I've activated IPV6 on the desktop and it let me create the homegroup, and set ipv6 on notebook, and also let me join". Could you tell me exactly how to do this? I really hope that does it, because it seems like I'm out of options if this doesn't work...

START>CONTROL PANEL>NETWORK AND SHARING CENTER>on the left side choose CHANGE ADAPTER SETTINGS>right click on the LAN and the WIRELESS and go to PROPERTIES>make sure there is a check mark beside INTERNET PROTOCOL VERSION 6 (TCP/IP v6). If there is a check mark, uncheck it, restart, and see if it works. If not, check it again, restart, and see what happens.

Unfortunately, I'm out of ideas if that doesn't work.

Back
Top Bottom