Can't ping gateway.

Rmp5s

In Runtime
I'm lost...

PC: Dell laptop (unsure of exact model), running a jacked up XP (pirated version someone put on it somewhere along the line).

So...this PC OBVIOUSLY has issues aside from its networking woes...but still, here's the deal:

I set up static IP and DNS. (After restarting the Windows Zero Configuration service...every time I start the PC...very strange...) I can connect to the AP (my personal Linksys WRT54G) and ping the loopback IP but nothing else. I can't ping the gateway, the DNS server, a remote site by URL or IP, nothing. (Didn't try a pc on the LAN.)

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Are you sure you have the gateway, DNS, and mask correct?
The loop back IP would only rule out your computers ping functions nothing else.
With the WRT45G make sure you have the static IP something like so: 192.168.1.2
The subnet mask unless you subnet the IP should be 255.255.255.0
Gateway should be 192.168.1.1

Are you sure you have the gateway, DNS, and mask correct?
The loop back IP would only rule out your computers ping functions nothing else.
With the WRT45G make sure you have the static IP something like so: 192.168.1.2
The subnet mask unless you subnet the IP should be 255.255.255.0
Gateway should be 192.168.1.1

I'm sure gateway, IP, DNS and mask are right.
Yup...loopback only tests TCP/IP stack, but it's still good to know all that is installed and working properly.
I have the static IP set as a random IP, 192.168.1.50, I think with a /24 mask.
Gateway's 1.1.

Hence my confusion...*scratches head*

Hm, that is interesting.. Everything looks correct.
You could also do what tech support will suggest you do, reset your router. :D
1.1, 1.50, /24. Hm. Do you have another computer on the lan you can ping, I would try that.

Of course if you can't ping 1.1 then that probably would end with a failure as well.
Are you doing this via Ethernet or Wireless?

Maybe let the router do DHCP? Double check the router to make sure that it's still using the default network of 1.X and make sure it's not 2.X or something like that.

Maybe let the router do DHCP? Double check the router to make sure that it's still using the default network of 1.X and make sure it's not 2.X or something like that.

Maybe he wants to port forward with out open all ports to this particular computer?

Do you have another computer you could test the settings with?

Maybe he wants to port forward with out open all ports to this particular computer?

Do you have another computer you could test the settings with?

I do and I have. Everything is a go...or it should be, at least. This is what makes me so confused...everything is perfect: the IP setup, the masks, the DNS settings, all my other puters work on it just fine...but this one will NOT work. Makes no sense.

And, to top it off, it REFUSES to boot to a disk. Change the boot priority, put in the XP disk that I used on another PC last week, the HDD boots. The CD spins and it sound like it trys (it stalls briefly with a black screen with a cursor for a while after the BIOS), but nothing happens. I also made an external HDD bootable and the same thing happened, except it just stayed at the black screen cursor thing. How can I force it to boot to a disk?

This thing is jacked up...lol

It sounds like you have some more serious problems going on then just networking.
Are you sure you are changing the right boot sequence, I know for my Asus I have two options menus. (one involves usb ports)

It sounds like you have some more serious problems going on then just networking.
Are you sure you are changing the right boot sequence, I know for my Asus I have two options menus. (one involves usb ports)

Yea...the thing's pretty screwed up. I don't know what happened to it but it definately has issues other than just the networking issues.

Yup...I set it up right. It tries to boot to the external, but nothing happens. Just like when trying to boot to a CD. It tries but doesn't work.

Back
Top Bottom