It's a mystery...

Rmp5s

In Runtime
I was moving a partition on a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop today, I left the room for a few min, came back, and it had passed away...

I was using Partition Wizard 4.2.2 (GREAT program, btw!!!) to resize the boot section of the C drive and format the created space to NTFS. Got it all going, the computer restarted and booted into the Partition Wizard boot tool and all was going just fine. I had done this to 2 other drives on a different computer 2 days ago (and one on an external HDD about 5 min ago) with no issue what so ever. When I went back to the computer, it was off. *sinking feeling* lol

I reluctantly turn it back on and it's dead. The BIOS runs and it goes into some Windows 7 recovery/repair utility that, surprise surprise, doesn't work.

It won't boot to the OS...it won't boot to a bootable disk...nothing...and I have no idea what happened or why. The PC was on AC power and no one else was in the room with it.

Can someone gimme something to look at here? I'm lost. I just don't get it. I've seen PCs that have corrupt OS installs before and it's easy to fix...just boot to an install disk of your choice and you're golden. Sure, you'll probably lose whatever was on the disk before, but at least you still have a working PC. This thing seems like it got the BIOS jacked up or something. It's really weird. I'll post the errors it gives me tomorrow...I can't look at the thing any more right now. Kinda wanna put the damn thing in the microwave...stupid low end Dell has NEVER worked right.

I might just end this thing tonight...

I have a feeling that the boot sector on the disk has been overwritten, or that the partition is no longer marked as active.

try using the windows CD to do a repair in text mode console and use the fixboot and fixmbr commands if possible.

Back
Top Bottom