Question on DSL cords -cant connect

pitbull30

Baseband Member
Just bought a D Link DSL modem. THe cord that came with it is this short 4 ft phone cord. It has 2 wires I can see inside a red/green.

I bought another 25ft high speed cat 5 Rj11 connector cord from Frys because I need the cord to wrap around the room from the phone jack. It looks like it has 4 wires inside. I cant get it to connect.

I also tried a regular phone cord and it appears it has the same 4 color wires inside as well.

Do I need a cord with only the 2 wires inside? If so what is this called?

Are the wires in the same order on each plug of the 25ft cable?

Does it connect with the short 2 wire cable?

It does with the short cable.

I tried on phone cable. The wires seemed to be in the same spot but there was 2 extra colors.

on the "25ft high speed DSL cable" the wires are 2 colors each. They look red/white then blue/white etc.

I dug around a bit on the net before I bought and everyone said "dont use the flat telephone cord type. Use cat5, twisted pair, high speed etc". The cable I need has a RJ11 connector on both ends.

Can you show us a link to the cord you bought. I've never used anything but a "true" phone cord for DSL connection and have never had any trouble.

Figured it out. It needs whats called a DSL filter. Apparently the dial tone going directly to the cord messes it up. You have to buy a filter that has a connector that has 2 female plugs and one male that goes into the wall. One female for phone service one for DSL. I would think that DSL modems would provide this but apparently they do not.(well at least Dlink & Trendnet Modems do not)

LOL....I guess I assumed you already had those on the line. Anytime I've had to set up a DSL modem, they've come with the filters. Sorry or I would have posted that first.

Back
Top Bottom