hooking up belkin router to vista computer

Ok, this statement confuses me.

What kind of setup do you have right now? Do you have a modem from your ISP that is connected to high speed interent like DSL or Cable? Or do you have a phone cord that goes into the back of your computer?

If you do in fact have high speed and you have a modem from your ISP then you will need to do the following:

1. Unplug the ethernet cable that connects the computer to the modem.
2. Plug that ethernet cable into the router's "internet" port.
3. Plug another ethernet cable into one of the "numbered" ports on the router.
4. Plug the other end of that ethernet cable into the ethernet port on the back of the computer.

In order to login and setup the router you computer must be connected to it via ethernet cable. Once you do this, you will get an IP address from the router. Then you will be able to login to it and properly configure it.

You may have to contact the ISP to get the proper settings to configure the router so that the modem will allow the router to access the internet.

On the other hand, if you have "dial-up" where you have a phone line going from a wall jack to your computer and the phone is unable to be used while on the internet then you can not use a router.

ok i think it's dial up because it has a phone wire that is connected to the back of the modem

It's dsl then.
On the modem you'll have 2 connections. One is usb and the other is a network connection.
From the network connection on the modem plug in a network cable jumper. That should have come with the modem or the router.
Connect the other end in to the WAN port on the router.
From any of the LAN ports on the router connect another network cable and plug the other end in to your network connection on your computer.
Power down all devices. Modem, router, computer.
Power up the modem first. Wait for the "connected" light to come on.
Power up the router. Wait for all the lights to stop blinking and go solid.
Power up your computer. Be patient while it boots.

Now comes the fun part. Open your browser and put in the belkin default IP address for that router. 192.168.2.1
If no password has been installed just click on the continue button.
Click on WAN settings and select PPPoE.
Here's where it gets fun. Put in your dsl account ID and password.
Select Stay alive > forever
Save your settings.

If you don't have the ID and password for your dsl account you are dead in the water. Call your provider and request they be reset and to give you that info over the phone.
I have a belkin router I'm working off of now. Pricey but nice N1. Having had dsl and a seperate router in the past I recall getting it set up was PITA.

It's dsl then.
On the modem you'll have 2 connections. One is usb and the other is a network connection.
From the network connection on the modem plug in a network cable jumper. That should have come with the modem or the router.
From any of the LAN ports on the router connect another network cable and plug the other end in to your network connection on your computer.

Now comes the fun part. Open your browser and put in the belkin default IP address for that router. 192.168.2.1
Save your settings.

If you don't have the ID and password for your dsl account you are dead in the water. Call your provider and request they be reset and to give you that info over the phone.
I have a belkin router I'm working off of now. Pricey but nice N1. Having had dsl and a seperate router in the past I recall getting it set up was PITA.

i tried that already....i can't acess the router from the computer only from the laptop(or is it possible that i can do all that from the laptop while it's hooked up o the desktop).but i will give it another shot..

ok i think it's dial up because it has a phone wire that is connected to the back of the modem

As in a seperate modem that sits on your desk and not one that is installed in the back of the computer right? If so then setishock's directions should work for you.

It's dsl then.

Save your settings.

As in a seperate modem that sits on your desk and not one that is installed in the back of the computer right? If so then setishock's directions should work for you.

yes it's hooked to modem that is on the desk...i have another question when i do what setishock said an i need to acess the router page should i first try dial a connection or just open the browser an enter ther rouers ip?

Ok. I think you are confused about this "dial-up" connection you keep speaking of. There is nothing you have to dial-up to get on the internet. So once the router is hooked up to your computer just type in the router's IP address. That will give you access to the router. You need to make sure that your desktop is getting an IP address from the router though - but it should by default. Make sure your network connection settings on the desktop computer are set to receive an IP address automatically.

Ok. I think you are confused about this "dial-up" connection you keep speaking of. There is nothing you have to dial-up to get on the internet. So once the router is hooked up to your computer just type in the router's IP address. That will give you access to the router. You need to make sure that your desktop is getting an IP address from the router though - but it should by default. Make sure your network connection settings on the desktop computer are set to receive an IP address automatically.

ok my bad i just asked..cause everytime i turn on my computer i have to hit the start buttn then connect to then a window opens up an i select the ppope i think it is an click then another window opens up with my house number in it then i hit connect..that what confuses me..but i will try it again..

Ok then. If you need to connect with a PPPoE on your desktop then you need to configure your router to use that same PPPoE connection.

Is this a new router? Did you previously only have your desktop and modem?

What I would recommend at this point is to call your ISP and explain to them that you want to hook up a router. They will be able to walk you step-by-step over the phone on what you need to do. If they can't help over the phone, they might send someone out to help you.

Back
Top Bottom