Will this work?

I don't think what you are talking about will work. You need a wireless USB print server. Take a look at these.

Because there is nothing there that will convert the print jobs into a format that can be input to the printer via USB.

Well the usb will be converted into the cat 5 which will go into the wireless-g, which will send the signal to my computer.

Printers require a specialized network adapter in order to receive print jobs over the network. Just plugging in a USB network adapter designed for a computer will not cut it. Getting parts to physically fit the connectors is not going to be enough for this to work.

Printers require a specialized network adapter in order to receive print jobs over the network. Just plugging in a USB network adapter designed for a computer will not cut it. Getting parts to physically fit the connectors is not going to be enough for this to work.

^This.

If you are able to give the printer an IP which i doube you will be able to it will work, but not sure exactly what you are trying to do here but if you are trying to print wireless to the printer from multiple computers, you can hook the printer up to a dedicated machine (printer server if you will). Then you will share out the printer and make available to the directory. Once you have that setup go into the printer security and give everyone the user permission you would like. Once you have done that you can go to add a network printer and search by \\servername\printer. Once you have found the printer it will start to d/l the print drivers. If you are trying to go across platforms make sure to install universal driver. You will now be able to printer wired or wireless to on printer without having to connect to the printer

If you are able to give the printer an IP which i doube you will be able to it will work, but not sure exactly what you are trying to do here but if you are trying to print wireless to the printer from multiple computers, you can hook the printer up to a dedicated machine (printer server if you will). Then you will share out the printer and make available to the directory. Once you have that setup go into the printer security and give everyone the user permission you would like. Once you have done that you can go to add a network printer and search by \\servername\printer. Once you have found the printer it will start to d/l the print drivers. If you are trying to go across platforms make sure to install universal driver. You will now be able to printer wired or wireless to on printer without having to connect to the printer

He could setup printer sharing, but the only flaw is that the system must remain on if he wants to print. Thats always been the issue for clients that I've setup printer sharing for.

I always tell them that the host machine must be on for the print job to go through. Needless to say, 4/5 times, I receieve a call the first or second time their trying to print something. Once I say it, they remember though.. haha.

^Agreed. It's not that big of deal to leave/have the "server" on. Most people leave their computers on all day anyway....lol

Back
Top Bottom