Wireless network range

LH-Danny

Baseband Member
Hi,

A few year ago, my router decided to never work again so I picked a cheap one up for about ~£30 and so far everything has been working fine. However, someone will be moving into my house within the next month and would like to place their computer in a bedroom on the far end of the house away from the router.

I know the router range doesn't go this far because I placed my laptop here before and couldn't connect - What would be the best way to get round this? Would a better router, E.G. Netgear provide a better range, or would the Home Plugs providing a network through the house electrical system work better?

Either way, I'm not willing to drill holes around the house to provide any computer with Ethernet.

Thanks. :)

If their computer is a desktop, an external USB wireless adapter would be the best option. This should get better range. If the person that is moving in has a laptop, having an extra wire or USB adapter hanging out may not be so convenient.

You can look at a better router but what kind do you have? Also there is no guarantee that it will help.

I would recommend some kind of external antena/adapter as those do usually get better strength. -- again though with wireless there is never a guarantee.

I've never personally used the etherent over electrical so I can't comment on this setup.

I've never heard of that brand so I can't say for sure if it's good/bad/average or anything. I can't really be much more help. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom