I want to make a website

samueleen

In Runtime
Hey, I'm interested in making a website. I can do the HTML bit but how to I actually.... Publish it on the internet?
So I write all the HTML down in a notepad document, save it as .html and then what?

Thanx in advance :)

There's two things you need - hosting and a domain name. You can sometimes get both for free, depending on whether you're prepared to put up with ads and a not-nice domain name. Alternatively, you can look at hosting yourself - but you will need a machine on 24/7 to do this (and an internet connection to cope with the traffic!)

The easiest way to get a nice domain name and good quality hosting though is to just pay for it. Mine costs £60 a year which isn't bad for what I get - domain name, 100 SQL databases, unlimited storage space / bandwidth, the usual PHP support and more things that I can't remember.

Best thing to do is probably to design your site first, then look at hosting options (so you don't pay to have nothing online!)

At the moment I'm looking for something free or quite cheap.

Are there any recommended sites to get web hosting and a domain name from?
I found 123-reg.co.uk which for what I want is £5.98 for 2 years (domain name) and £4.99 a month (web hosting)

Do you know anywhere I could get this cheaper?

My requirements:
500MB Web Space
1GB Data

Where can I get free web hosting and free domain name?

Thanx

A while back I had a look at freewebs (now it's just webs, http://www.webs.com/) which gave you the option to construct a website yourself rather than use one of their preset templates. That might be worth exploring, but things may have changed now (good 5 years since I looked at it.)

Your domain name will most likely be something like webs.com/something, but you can probably add a "proper" one on later should you so wish.

you can also try 000webhost. they give out free websites with a free mysql server and some applets. You can make it a social website if you want!

For uploading, they have two managers, but you should go with an off-website one like ftpblast.

I've had a look at both, they're really good for what I need. Is there a way I can have a free domain name and free web hosting with either one of these sites, but using my HTML?

I'm also interested in some CSS :)

Thanx

Back
Top Bottom